OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Observations with Longbeard shells this weekend.

Started by Skeeterbait, March 10, 2014, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

Good write up. I think it proves what most of us knew already.  The LB are a very good cheap lead shell out to 40 yards, but for total comparison, they are not in the same category as these high density Hevi or Winchester XR shells.  To me you are comparing apples to oranges and asking the LB to do too much.  They are both great at 40 yards and in, maybe even 45 for the LB's.

I feel the problems with LB's are going to arise when bird distances are misjudged which will result in more wounded birds.  What makes heavier than lead loads shine is their down range killing ability on misjudged distances.  I have killed birds over 40 yards and seen broken legs, wings, necks, you name it.  I just don't think the LB's will provide that kind of killing energy consistency. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

allaboutshooting

Congratulations! That is an exceptionally well written post. It contains good information without expressing any bias or prejudice. A very fair test and evaluation.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bawana

Quote from: highwaygun on March 11, 2014, 12:02:27 AM
Quote from: darn2ten on March 10, 2014, 11:49:04 PM
This is why I shoot #5's. Pellets  being smaller are certainly not exclusive to the LB 6's. I cut open a #7 Hevi one time after noticing all the little bitty holes in my pattern. There were pellet sizes all over the place in that shell, with some being # 9 or smaller.
no s%#€! Thats good to know. I never shot the hevi #7 because they dont make them in 10 gauge. But have shot the hevi #5 but never cut them open to look. I have cut opening HW #7 and they were slightly larger than the lead 7.5's I cut for comparison.
Remember Hevi#7 isn't the same as HW #7, HW #7 is 15.2 g/cc while Hevi#7 is only 12.0 g/cc density

Gold Spur

Great information Skeeterbait. I appreciate your efforts.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

jmasters

L.F. Cox

I believe the Winchester Extended Ranges are becoming available again...

I was kinda shocked when I weighed and Extended Range #4 pellet and a copper plated #4 lead pellet and the lead pellet weighed just a tad more.

But when put to the hammer/anvil test the Extended Range was harder....

d.winsor

I patterned my SX3 today with .665 choke, winchester supreme HV #5's and Long Beard #5's.  I don't count holes but  at 40 yards the long beard pattern was too tight for me to hunt with.  The Supreme HV pattern was slightly larger and I feel had more margin for error while still maintaining a high percentage kill rate at 40 yards.  It is the shell I have used since 1994.  The Long Beards #5's shot about 6" low.  If I ever run out of supreme HV, I will switch to Long Beards and a larger size choke, right now I don't see any reason to buy a new choke.

nickp

A very good/informative post.  I noticed before when I cut a Hevi 6 shell open that the shell had what looked like 3 different sized pellets, similar to a true magnum blend.  And man it can thump them.  I have also noticed that with the same type shot (ex: lead or htl) the pellets one size larger penetrate a plywood board almost identically at 40.  Is this due to the larger surface area of the pellet or is plywood just too much more dense than things such as a phone book for adequate testing?

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."