OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Observations with Longbeard shells this weekend.

Started by Skeeterbait, March 10, 2014, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandedSpur

Quote from: darn2ten on March 10, 2014, 12:07:08 PM
Great read. Now you've got me thinking. Does anybody know if any or what the density difference between the xrhd and Hevi shot are? Though I'm like you, and don't know how much a phone book and a turkeys head have in common, except that I imagine a phone book is much more dense, this is still a neat test. I have some Hevi 6's and think I might just try this for observation. The big difference between the Win. XRHD and the Hevi is the velocity, 1225 vs 1090 which should make a difference. I'm a fan of Hevi 6's and LB 5's so this would be interesting to me. I know what the math says, but sometimes test are fun and enlightening. I've killed enough turkeys to know what each do, so that's not even the point. Just cool to piddle sometimes.

No difference...they are both 12 gm/cc. Great post Skeeterbait.

reflexl

Very interesting. Now for my experience. I have been experimenting with the HTL-13
#6 vs #5 Magnum lead shot by Knight. This is from a muzzleloader turkey gun (209X12) with identicle velocities that is cosmeticaly 1200fps. I have done tons of testing for bullet companies and treated this no different. My test media was catalogs made of vinyl coat. Those familier with it know it is very hard to penitrate. The .375" thick catologs easily stopped both types of shot at 40 yards. The HTL only penitrated an average of 3 more pages. The #5 lead was un-deformed and deffinately did more damage. 112 vs 115 pages. No turkey would ever know the difference. Ether shot at this velocity wood get it done. reflexl

Skeeterbait

Difference in recovered shot sizes, Winchester Extended Range High Density #6 on the left and Winchester Longbeard XR #5 on the right.

DirtNap647

DMP

Very good job.

I have been shooting HEVI 13 6's for the last 4 years but may have to try some of the new long beard 6's if I can ever find any.

300Mag

I counted 496 longbeard xr 6's in a 3.5 shell. They are smaller than a 6. I cut open an old federal 6 and if was very easy to see how much smaller the lb pellets are.

bawana

Here is a post from Clark where he randomly looked at 25 LB #6's, most were smaller, with some in the #7 or smaller size.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,41747.0.html

highwaygun

Yeap only one of the pellets he tested was a true #6 with the majority being number#7 or smaller

darn2ten

This is why I shoot #5's. Pellets  being smaller are certainly not exclusive to the LB 6's. I cut open a #7 Hevi one time after noticing all the little bitty holes in my pattern. There were pellet sizes all over the place in that shell, with some being # 9 or smaller.

highwaygun

Quote from: darn2ten on March 10, 2014, 11:49:04 PM
This is why I shoot #5's. Pellets  being smaller are certainly not exclusive to the LB 6's. I cut open a #7 Hevi one time after noticing all the little bitty holes in my pattern. There were pellet sizes all over the place in that shell, with some being # 9 or smaller.
no s%#€! Thats good to know. I never shot the hevi #7 because they dont make them in 10 gauge. But have shot the hevi #5 but never cut them open to look. I have cut opening HW #7 and they were slightly larger than the lead 7.5's I cut for comparison.

darn2ten

Quote from: highwaygun on March 11, 2014, 12:02:27 AM
Quote from: darn2ten on March 10, 2014, 11:49:04 PM
no s%#€! Thats good to know. I never shot the hevi #7 because they dont make them in 10 gauge. But have shot the hevi #5 but never cut them open to look. I have cut opening HW #7 and they were slightly larger than the lead 7.5's I cut for comparison.
Even if those HW #7's where a little smaller, they would still get the job done no problem. That HW is some pretty serious stuff.

highwaygun

Yes they are I will never shot anything else. My 10 gauge and the HW 7's are devastating for lack of a better word.

captin_hook