only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

After The Shot Question?

Started by highwaygun, March 10, 2014, 01:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

I do the head stomp ritual while im unloading my gun

sonofabuck

Was just watching meateater and some guy quickly jumps up to chase a wounded osceola.  He did get a second shot off and killed the bird, but had to stop rather quickly after pulling a hami.   :z-dizzy:  :TooFunny:

WV TURKEY THUG

Quote from: tomstopper on March 10, 2014, 06:21:31 AM
Quote from: HogBiologist on March 10, 2014, 01:37:32 AM
I don't run and stomp regardless. I rack another round and sit tight. Don't want to spook other birds.
^^^This usually unless I am on public land. Last year I took a guy from work and his son out hunting (neither of which has ever hunted before) and his son shot a jake. I jumped up and tried to run over to the bird and fell flat on my face HARD b/c my leg had fallen asleep. Just another reason not be jumping up after them...
i hate this i thought i broke my leg one time when that happend to me

Gamblinman

Quote from: fsu33952 on March 10, 2014, 08:13:18 PM
I know an old guy that grabbed one by the leg ang it flopped around in his hand and cut it wide open. Was a 4 year old or older bird with some hooks too. I forget how many stitches he had to have but it was a bunch. Thing got him to the bone.

Had 9 stiches in my hand from chasing down a customers bird. He was about to flop over into a deep ravine. Next time, I'll just have to go down in the ravine and get him.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Vabirddog

Quote from: highwaygun on March 10, 2014, 01:35:02 AM
I was wondering how many people still have to run out and stomp a head after the shot since moving over to HTL loads? Just curious?

Ive read the posts, I'll borrow a phrase here " a wise move to get to your turkey quickly and get your foot on his neck".

I've hunted a long time and that statement is fact. No running but don't dawdle. It is the best method to guarantee that the turkey you shot at you leave with. Lead, htl, steel or rifle it makes no difference unless one thinks that your chosen load exempts you from pulling a shot, clipping a twig or wire, or the bobs and jerks of a gobblers head. Facts are that things can and will happen to mollify what you feel is a solid shot and the best way to to guard against loss is to reduce that turkey to possession as soon as possible. If indeed the shot was not immediatly lethal, 1) you are closer for a followup and 2) if he does take off you are infinitely more likely to recover him if you never lose sight of him. Ask enough hunters and you will hear enough stories of dead gobblers that ran off to convince you. Sure I've taken my time to get up before but I will continue to advocate to new hunters and old that getting on your gobbler safely but quickly is the safest bet. just my 2 cts and worth it

stinkpickle

If he's about to flop into a creek or river, I'll try to step on his neck.  But mostly, I just chamber another round, keep my barrel pointed at him, and slowly walk up.

CT Spur Collector

A big ole' foot on the neck is my tradition and will remain so.

mnbeardbuster

I agree with Pickle.  Chamber another round, keep my gun on him and walk slowly.  I will however step on his neck and grab his legs and pull up if there's anything left in him his wings will hit the back side of mine.  It's a method I saw Cally Morris of Hazel Creek Taxidermy recommend on a hunting show I happened to be watching once.

bmhern

My buddy shot one about 25 yes ago, he jumped up ran to the gobbler stepped on his neck just like he had done all his life, well that old gobbler wasn't quite done yet. He took those spurs and walked up my buddy's leg punching holes every place he hit him. So now when I step on ones neck I make sure to control those legs. I learned a valuable lesson from my buddy's experience.

Greenshed Longbeard

I will continue to get up and go to the bird and put a foot on his neck, a second shot results in more shot in the meat, you guys do eat what you shoot don't you? Call it tradition if you will but that's what my dad and granddad done it has worked now for three generations.
Greenshed Longbeard

WV TURKEY THUG

i go and step on there neck or use my hand. just dont forget to lay the gun down after the shot. cant tell u how many times ive seen people run with loaded guns. i had a buddy who did it he fell and his barrel went straight into the ground luckily no one was hurt.

mudhen

I don't 'run' after any shot usually.

If the bird needs the boot, he gets it....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on March 11, 2014, 02:04:25 PM
A big ole' foot on the neck is my tradition and will remain so.
+1 I agree. IMO the hunt is not finished until I'm standing over him with my foot on his neck. Then I know I have won the game and the hunt is over.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Gobble!

I normally stand up, walk out, grab their legs, and put my foot on his head as soon as the gun is done going off. I only do this because I want to see his spurs ASAP, it's like Christmas morning when your a kid.

Deputy 14

I do even if they appear to be stone dead. Until you've chased a flopping gobbler to the bottom of a hollow in these vertical mountains you haven't lived.