turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

After The Shot Question?

Started by highwaygun, March 10, 2014, 01:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

I don't shoot HTL because there's not enough benefit to justify the price. The only time I can kill him with HTL but not with lead is when he's too far. I went through that HTL thing, its not for me. I don't step on heads. I usually just sit and watch him flop. If I see another hunter going to my turkey I'll pump another shell in.lol

budtripp

People will actually run up and try to steal someone else's bird??? What the heck? This is a hard concept to grasp lol. I've heard of it happening with big bucks on public ground so I guess anything is possible with some people.

budtripp

Oh yeah by the way I just sit there a d watch em flop for a bit. Whether lead or hevi.  They ain't going anywhere.  Plus I learned the hard way not to try and pick up a flopping bird early in my career hahaba

jblackburn

Only have killed 4 birds with HTL, but have not had to do any head stomping. Had not really thought about it, though.

But all four of these birds were less than 30 yards and 3 of the four were within 20, so that might have something to do with it.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

longspur

Quote from: budtripp on March 10, 2014, 01:36:29 PM
People will actually run up and try to steal someone else's bird??? What the heck? This is a hard concept to grasp lol. I've heard of it happening with big bucks on public ground so I guess anything is possible with some people.
Hungry SOB I guess.

the Ward

Quote from: budtripp on March 10, 2014, 01:36:29 PM
It's not so much the people running off with your bird that I worry about, it's the Squatches.  Heard about it on a tv show.....

fsu33952

A few years ago in the fall I had a bunch of gobblers scratch up on me and I shot a 3 year old turkey at about 20 steps. Killed him dead as hammer. When I shot the hull hung in the barrel and the ejector yanked a hunk out of the brass. Long story short the shell was stuck in there and wouldnt come out. I go down to get the turkey and I look about 40 yards further down the hill and there Is a jake with about a 4 inch beard standing there. So that joker woulda been at 60 or 70 when I shot. I walk toward this turkey thinking how weird is this. As I get closer to him, I see that both his eyes a shot out and he is bleeding out of them. I try to grab him and he takes off. I start chasing him and end up belly flopping him. I felt all his life leave him when I came down on him. So, I pick him and the other turkey up and start walking out. I walk for a little piece and stop to wait on my partner. I lay my gun and turkeys down and walk down forward where he was at to whistle for him. I get about 20 yards away and the jake starts flopping around and wait for it. Sucker flies across the holler and crashes into a tree top. I go over there and he flopped and flopped. Long story short, never under estimate a turkey's will to survive. I always try to get on them because if they ever get out of sight and get under something you will never find them. I had lots of them get away over the years. Turkeys that I knew were dead when I shot and they would flop around or a minute in one brush and then come out the other side running. Anybody that can say they have never had one get away hasn't been hunting long enough. I don't care what kind of shell you shoot.

Skeeterbait

I don't remember who it was but there is a video out there of a coyote running out and grabbing a fresh shot turkey and trying to run off with it before he caught a load of shot himself.  I commonly sit maybe 15 seconds with a bead on the bird, then I get up and walk to him.  I can't kill but one a day in Alabama so no point in sitting there.

I have picked up a stone cold dead turkey, slung him over my back, walked away and had the bird start flapping and beating me with his wings and jerking the spurs in my hand.  Now I'll put a snake boot on his neck till I'm sure he ain't gonna flop any more.

fsu33952

I know an old guy that grabbed one by the leg ang it flopped around in his hand and cut it wide open. Was a 4 year old or older bird with some hooks too. I forget how many stitches he had to have but it was a bunch. Thing got him to the bone.

Rockhound

You shoot one in the fields of a certain WMA I hunt on, you better be getting him before someone comes out of the hedgerow and does

surehuntsalot

I have never got up and ran to a bird since I been hunting,I rack another shell in the gun and sit there taking in the moment.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

redleg06

I've shot TSS, Hevi Shot, AND lead over the years, and they'll flop with all of them... it doesnt mean they arent dead or that one load is any better or worse.  Like someone else said, I've had some that I shot so close you couldnt recognize the head and they still flopped. No doubt that bird was dead, but flopped anyway.

Sometimes, the ones you NEED to step on their heads, you cant tell from the ones that you dont until you're chasing after them...  so I step on it most of the time anyway, just for good measure :smiley-char092:

appalachianstruttstopper

Shoot ones head off and they will flop, beat, thrash, etc..... cut it off with an ax, same thing.

Don't matter what type of shell you are using, dead is dead.

For me in my area it is always best to get up and get close to the bird, step on his neck or grab him by the neck in case he starts to do the death flop so you won't be chasing a flopping dead gobbler through a laurell thicket and loose him.

Frank G

Not the best image, hopefully will get my point across. :icon_thumright: placing a boot on a flopping bird. Not the best idea, I took one last season,   :happy0064: blood all over, he's toast.... flopping a bit. Stuck my right heal down on his partially attached head, you don't think spurs are sharp well they are :o. The image doesn't show it well but you would sware it had a razor attached. Those are a heavy pair of leather snake boots and the cuts are to be seen in real life. He spun around and hit me, cut the leather. Amazing how tough these guys are. Learned my lesson, let him flop until dead "OR" what are your options, hit it again with a 12 (messy) "OR" legal or not, pull out your 22 handgun and nail him in  the head. The bird weighted in at 21 lbs with very sharp spurs. I never go out without snake boots, here is a reason way.

Frank G  In Tennessee

HogBiologist

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 10, 2014, 07:48:16 AM
Quote from: HogBiologist on March 10, 2014, 01:37:32 AM
I don't run and stomp regardless. I rack another round and sit tight. Don't want to spook other birds.

I've hunted with a few people that were scared to put their foot on a gobblers neck for fear the turkey might hurt them...there is no way they can.

There's no "run or stomp" involved.....it's tradition and a wise move to get to your turkey quickly and get your foot on his neck.

Putting your foot on a gobblers neck and making him give up his last bit of life signifies the battle is over.

Once you've shot enough turkeys this won't need explaining.

Glad to know I have not shot enough turkeys. I have killed plenty of birds. I don't get a thrill up my leg running with a loaded firearm up to a bird that is no moe than 40 yards away. I don't have to put a ceremonial foot on a neck to signify the battle is over. I love turkey hunting but some people can be a little fanatical at times.
Certified Wildlife Biologist