OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

After The Shot Question?

Started by highwaygun, March 10, 2014, 01:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highwaygun

I was wondering how many people still have to run out and stomp a head after the shot since moving over to HTL loads? Just curious? 

HogBiologist

I don't run and stomp regardless. I rack another round and sit tight. Don't want to spook other birds.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

highwaygun

Woooooo Pig nice to see another arkie!

darn2ten

Actually, the only birds I have ever had to go after were birds I shot with Hevi 7's.

tomstopper

Quote from: HogBiologist on March 10, 2014, 01:37:32 AM
I don't run and stomp regardless. I rack another round and sit tight. Don't want to spook other birds.
^^^This usually unless I am on public land. Last year I took a guy from work and his son out hunting (neither of which has ever hunted before) and his son shot a jake. I jumped up and tried to run over to the bird and fell flat on my face HARD b/c my leg had fallen asleep. Just another reason not be jumping up after them...

o2stk1

ditto with hog bio, another load of 5s can get there faster and safer

jayjay

....Im with o2stk1 and hog bio.... I sit tight and get another round in the chamber incase its needed.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: HogBiologist on March 10, 2014, 01:37:32 AM

I've hunted with a few people that were scared to put their foot on a gobblers neck for fear the turkey might hurt them...there is no way they can.

There's no "run or stomp" involved.....it's tradition and a wise move to get to your turkey quickly and get your foot on his neck.

Putting your foot on a gobblers neck and making him give up his last bit of life signifies the battle is over.

Once you've shot enough turkeys this won't need explaining.

appalachianstruttstopper

Hunt where I do you won't wait after you shoot. If you do, you'll be chasing a flopping bird bout a half a mile down the mountain!

ShortSpurs

After the shot, I load another shell in and walk to the bird. Only once did another hunter beat me to my bird, and upon checking his gun, he found he hadn't fired a shot, DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're out there  :angry9:!

highwaygun

What i was was getting at is since I started shooting fed HW there was no need to reload or run to the bird because he was stone cold dead. I was just wondering if the people shooting loads such as these are having the same results. And if you are not shooting loads such as these with these results why not?

Rockhound

If I'm on private I mosey my way to the bird, if on public I'm beating the bird stealers to it.

Gooserbat

I usually just walk over and watch him flop.  Sometimes...Most of the time I still step on his head just for old times sake. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

He is just as dead whether lead or Hevi shot went thru his spine and brain.  They still flop.  I decapitated one that flopped for almost a full minute.  I don't usually run to them but I usually do put a foot on the neck.
Quote from: highwaygun on March 10, 2014, 10:43:14 AM
What i was was getting at is since I started shooting fed HW there was no need to reload or run to the bird because he was stone cold dead. I was just wondering if the people shooting loads such as these are having the same results. And if you are not shooting loads such as these with these results why not?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gold Spur

Not saying it won't happen, but I haven't had to since using H-13. I started out using the 3.5" 6's and after the 7's came out that's all I use.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!