OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call making

Started by Spur806, March 09, 2014, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spur806

Hey guys, was wondering how everyone got started with their call making, I'll share my story, I'm originally from buena vista va, in the blue ridge mountains, my mother and father came here to the richmond va area to find more work, so we moved here when I was small, the rest of my family is still in the rock bridge, Lexington, and Amherst county areas, I only started making calls about 5 yrs ago just for a hobby, to try my hand at something new, and started with glued one sided red and yellow cedar handled boxes, and from there the bug bit me, but I remember the first call I showed my grandmother, she said it was in our blood, that my great grandfather used to carve boxes out of cedar, I never knew what he was doing, I can remember him whittling away on the front porch, but was so young I never knew what he was doing, hopefully one day when I'm called home we can admire each other's work, anyway, hope to here some good stories, thanks for reading

SS Calls

I got into calls back in the late 80's out of necessity. I started hunting with an old lynch box call and ended up breaking the soundboard off of it in a hurry to set up on a gobbler one morning. I bought three more of those calls and didn't get one that sounded like the first one. So, I decided to see if I could build a call to hunt with that suited me.. I found some poplar and cherry boards and built my first box call, a sawn and glued call that looked like it had been built by cavemen.  :TooFunny: I called it old ugly but it called in a bunch of gobblers over the next few years. That was my first taste of building box calls. Never sold any then, just built them and gave them to my friends and hunting buddies. Fast forward to 2007, Josh and I decided to play around with the Cost style calls and it went from me looking for a job at that time to doing it full time for a living for 7 years now. It's been awesome, and we've made a lot of good friends over the years.  :icon_thumright: