turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Low Recoil Loads

Started by donjuan, March 08, 2014, 09:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

What loads would you all recommend out of a Nova 20 ga with a Carlsons 575 for a youngster? Plan to shoot no further than 35. Would you suggest some 1 1/4 pheasant loads or how is the hevi shot recoil? I have found the fed 1 1/2 7 to be a little stiff.
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

surehuntsalot

Federal 3" 1-1/4 oz #5 Turkey Thugs
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Bigspurs68

All kids are different for sure but I'd find a great shooting load for that gun and use it. My girls are 11 and 8. They have killed 17 birds between them and most were with 3" nitros in straight 7's. My 11 yr old has killed 2 with a 3" 12ga also. They practice with light loads and never say a word about recoil when a turkey is involved. If they ever said it hurt, I would certainly back off but so far, so good.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

owlhoot

Then try the 2 3/4 " fed 7.

gophert

Federal Heavy Weight 2 3/4 #7's are perfect out to 35 yards and they hit like a mack truck. 

goblr77

Quote from: gophert on March 09, 2014, 08:34:01 AM
Federal Heavy Weight 2 3/4 #7's are perfect out to 35 yards and they hit like a mack truck. 

That's what I'm running in my 8 yr old's setup. That load will flatten a gobbler inside 35 yards.

donjuan

Thanks we will look into those
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

R AJ

H-13 also has a 2 3/4" #7 load. Federal and Winchester have 2 3/4"-1 1/8-#6 lead but generally are in a 25 box. A 2 3/4" Fiocchi #7.5 lead is another option and not too bad on recoil.

Lots of recs above are good ;I'm just adding a few other options.

Thanks for taking kids and giving them the experiences of turkey hunting.

Wishing you a SAFE and enjoyable season.

surehuntsalot

any of the lead loads will flatten any bird at 30-35yds
it's not the harvest,it's the chase