turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone hunt mountain turkeys?

Started by Turkey fryin, March 08, 2014, 10:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

I have been known to kill a mountain gobbler or 2 or 4 or 10. From CA, AZ, NM, CO, ID, SD, NE, OR and Mexico.

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

DirtNap647

I hunt pa so yes on the mountains or hollers

poeboy18

I grew up in WV and have climbed a many of hills to kill a few.
Knocking Heads Off

Xcal1ber

I too hunt the mountains here in Southeast Kentucky. Ain't nothing like starting the morning off before daylight walking straight up. Like a few people mentioned earlier, it's all about staying on their level, or above them. It can be done, but rarely have I called one down hill.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

longbeard11

There is just nothing like hunting turkeys in the mountains!!! I have grown up hunting birds here in the mountains of WV and have been fortunate to be able to go to VA the last few years and hunt turkeys with my good buddy in some beautiful mountains there!!  Just cant beat it!!!

Holston

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 08, 2014, 10:56:24 AM

Hello neighbor. Don't hunt Dickenson but have hunted Scott, tazewell and Russell. Spend most of my time in bland and wythe now. Some very rough country. Lots of places you got to grab trees, limbs or anything you can get a hold of to pull yourself up. Most people don't understand just cause you can hear him doesn't mean you can walk right to him. It might take 2 hours to get to him. Rocks rolling 75+ yards tend to spook birds

Nice pics...opened this thread cause I hunt the mountains too.

Surprised to see a pic off Whiterock though...that's my second home.

Look familiar?

longbeard11

Man those are some beautiful pics!!!! Gotta love ol mountain gobblers!

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Holston on March 13, 2014, 10:22:01 AM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 08, 2014, 10:56:24 AM

Hello neighbor. Don't hunt Dickenson but have hunted Scott, tazewell and Russell. Spend most of my time in bland and wythe now. Some very rough country. Lots of places you got to grab trees, limbs or anything you can get a hold of to pull yourself up. Most people don't understand just cause you can hear him doesn't mean you can walk right to him. It might take 2 hours to get to him. Rocks rolling 75+ yards tend to spook birds

Nice pics...opened this thread cause I hunt the mountains too.

Surprised to see a pic off Whiterock though...that's my second home.

Look familiar?

Hey now get out of my spot lol. It really is a small world. Man one year I walked out past white rock and went off the north side, to the top on the south side, went right handed, went back off the south at the wooded pole line and back up then walked the road back to the truck.

WVhuntEER

Yep, sure do!  I hunt Smyth County, VA and all over southern WV.  :icon_thumright:

Rio Fan

Mountain turkeys are all I've ever hunted.  I hunt in Washington and Idaho.

wvboy

Quote from: lonnie sneed jr. on March 09, 2014, 12:19:33 PM
Been turkey hunting the Mts. 44 years, in WV and VA,  I live in  Mercer Co WV, and hunt McDowell, Pocahontas, Mingo, Wyoming, Raleigh, Monroe, and Summers WV.  Hunted and still hunt VA, Bath, Highland, Bland, Tazewell, and Giles Co.

My favored Co, in VA to hunt is Bath Co, with Bland a close 2nd. but good hunting in the other counties also. Not saying Bath and Bland are the best, just my favored. In WV Pocahontas is not the best by far but is one of my favored places to hunt. In WV Mingo and McDowell Co. might have the most turkey?
GRUE UP HERE AND LOVE IT.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Born in Bath County VA .. Raised in Pocahontas County WV .. only because PC didn't have a doctor that delivered babies at the time of my birth.. so Mom had to find one in Hot Springs :) I hunted both growing up.. I now live in NOVA but still go back to hunt in the spring a few days.. I love those mountains..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

STRYKER

Another check mark for WV. I hunt turkeys mostly in raleigh co. but i have a camp in gilmer that I venture to at least one weekend of the season.

longbeard11

Gilmer is poluted with turkeys!!! I would spend as much time there as I could!! I love that country over there!

Turkey fryin

Quote from: hobbes on March 10, 2014, 10:35:46 PM
I've hunted a mountain or two.  A long way from TN or WV, but mountains none the less.

thats an awesome bird! I've always wanted to hunt those western birds! Where exactly is that at?

p.s.   I'm glad you posted this, I was wanting to know of mountain birds from all over not only from my surrounding area. It's great getting to see all the places!

Holston

I've got a few farms and fields, where I could most certain kill more birds and deer, but the mountains are where I like to be.

Glad to see others who enjoy it as well, I enjoy the pictures too.