OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone hunt mountain turkeys?

Started by Turkey fryin, March 08, 2014, 10:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey fryin

I live in the southwest part of Virginia (Dickenson county) and for anyone who's been here you would know its all straight up and straight down! The turkey are thick but hard to hunt. I love it tho, It makes it harder to hunt cause you can't just circle around to any spot you want when you know where some birds are at. Your choices are very limited! That's what makes it more fun and challenging!
Just wondered if I shared the mountain birds with anyone in this great country?

Stay calm, Go turkey hunting!

Gooserbat

I regulary hunt some steep stuff in SE Oklahoma and some of the bigger Ozark hills in SW Missouri.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

slamman

seems like we hunt them up hill both ways here in Arizona.  it's not uncommon to climb 1000 feet or more in elevation.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Turkey fryin on March 08, 2014, 10:05:21 AM
I live in the southwest part of Virginia (Dickenson county) and for anyone who's been here you would know its all straight up and straight down! The turkey are thick but hard to hunt. I love it tho, It makes it harder to hunt cause you can't just circle around to any spot you want when you know where some birds are at. Your choices are very limited! That's what makes it more fun and challenging!

Hello neighbor. Don't hunt Dickenson but have hunted Scott, tazewell and Russell. Spend most of my time in bland and wythe now. Some very rough country. Lots of places you got to grab trees, limbs or anything you can get a hold of to pull yourself up. Most people don't understand just cause you can hear him doesn't mean you can walk right to him. It might take 2 hours to get to him. Rocks rolling 75+ yards tend to spook birds

El Pavo Grande

I hunt some pretty rough terrain at times.  Makes it difficult to maneuver, but I like it because the same terrain can be used to your advantage.

Turkey fryin

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 08, 2014, 10:56:24 AM
Quote from: Turkey fryin on March 08, 2014, 10:05:21 AM

Hello neighbor. Don't hunt Dickenson but have hunted Scott, tazewell and Russell. Spend most of my time in bland and wythe now. Some very rough country. Lots of places you got to grab trees, limbs or anything you can get a hold of to pull yourself up. Most people don't understand just cause you can hear him doesn't mean you can walk right to him. It might take 2 hours to get to him. Rocks rolling 75+ yards tend to spook birds

i spend two weeks hunting big walker mountain in bland every year! Great hunting out there!

Beard Collecter

I am a Virginia native/resident as well from Fauquier co. I have only hunted foothills and farmland, never the mountains. I have hunted several other states as well but never in mountain terrain. I have thought about driving down to Bath or Highland co to hunt the NF there, but have not made it there yet. Would love to trade a hunt! Your picks are beautiful.

MouthCaller

One of my most successful tips I could give is to get above them... in my experience hunting southeast Kentucky and east Tennessee is they are very hard to call downhill it's worth the hike even if it takes you a while to get above them even if that means not getting there before fly down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

I was born and raised in Haysi what part of Dickinson County you from? I love the mountain birds one way I kill lot of them is when I find one that is using same mountain regular I do everything I can to not spook him and try to find out where he is roosting but more importantly where he is headed then I get above him before I make my first call and most always use scratching in leaves to go with calling seems to be very effective.

cphill

Quote from: MouthCaller on March 08, 2014, 01:10:59 PM
One of my most successful tips I could give is to get above them... in my experience hunting southeast Kentucky and east Tennessee is they are very hard to call downhill it's worth the hike even if it takes you a while to get above them even if that means not getting there before fly down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
I agree if a bird is above u on a steep hill or mountain its very hard to call him down....I live and  hunt the foot hills in Tennessee and I try to stay on ridges tops . Finding a good strut zone and wait him out has work good for me

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Turkey fryin

Quote from: turkeyfoot on March 08, 2014, 02:22:11 PM
I was born and raised in Haysi what part of Dickinson County you from? I love the mountain birds one way I kill lot of them is when I find one that is using same mountain regular I do everything I can to not spook him and try to find out where he is roosting but more importantly where he is headed then I get above him before I make my first call and most always use scratching in leaves to go with calling seems to be very effective.
im also in haysi! Wow didn't think I'd get a post that close!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I live in Fauquier county.,..learned to hunt turkeys in the mountains and don't have any desire to go back. It's a lot  of work to get the necessary position on mountain birds. God bless ya chasing them in that country day in and day out.

Beautiful pics!

turkeyfoot

[/quote]I'm also in haysi! Wow didn't think I'd get a post that close!
[/quote] I'm not living there now but my parents do and most of my family are there or close by Grundy/Prater area I have some areas that I'll go back and hunt they have been seeing good winter flock come through plus all the deer that hang by the garden. We live up around Bee between the gas wells and logging lot of deer have shown up over last few years

SS Calls

I live in Southwest Virginia, out in the sticks in a place called Moccasin Valley. We hunt the Clinch Mountain here and it's billy goat country.  :toothy12: We're in Russell county.

Al

Vabirddog

Hunt a lot in the west central Blue ridge of Va. I love getting in the mountains.