Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

General discussion

Started by nickhrp, March 07, 2014, 09:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericjames

Thanks, buddy..  That's the first one I ever saw busted like that.

ericjames

It's very quite in here I guess you all are out killing turkeys.

sonofabuck

Wish I had something to report. :-\  Hunted Sunday in TN and didn't see or hear a bird.  Neither did 3 of my buddies.  One guy on the lease shot a jake that came into his decoys but he didn't hear any gobbling either.  This weekend I'll be in KY for the opener.  Fingers crossed.

Illini Tom

yeah, it has been very quiet in here, but i think a lot of guys are going to be hunting soon
i start monday  :turkey2:
but i think it might be tough early based on scouting. i have been trying to keep tabs on several places and some days they gobble, other days no. weather-wise, its way behind schedule, woods are wide open, not a hint of green.
at least the winter flocks are starting to break up
still, its gonna be great to finally get back at em  :gobble:

ericjames

I have one bird on 3000 acres that's gobbling his butt off. I haven't heard anymore.. But he still has a pile of hens with him.. I think the next time I hunt him I am going to get up and run at the hens and scare them off as soon a they fly down. Then see if I can do anything with him. I called him away from them twice so far.. One time I called him into 55 yards and the other at 70. Both times I called him away from the hens with the haint.. Our woods are greening up about 2 weeks behind normal.

turkey buster

Good luck to you guys just starting your seasons. Ours ends Sunday but I'm without tags so I've been working and fishing lately.

sonofabuck

Need some setup help. Got to lease early and checked out a couple food plots. One had a ton of sign and I saw 5 hens there.  Another I checked out when I first got there had little sign. But on the way out there were 4 hens with a nice longbeard in tow. I watched all of them from a distance with binos and none were spooked off.
Which one should I sit in the AM?  We'll have lot of people here for opening day and want to stake my claim sooner than later.

turkey buster

If you put him to bed you know where he's at

Illini Tom

i'd definitely set up on the plot where you saw the tom, if you dont try and roost him
a tom with his hens are likely in a daily routine and should show up close to that same location again

nickhrp

Hey guys we need to keep the harvested bird thread clean for kill pics and measurments only so administrators don't have to scroll through comments for score info and such

God Bless the Outdoors

TJK68

Sorry Nick, I went back and removed my comment. Great bird Goose, Congrats.

nickhrp

No prob just trying to keep things neat and easy

God Bless the Outdoors

nickhrp

It was a great but cool morning me and little girl walked the tree line edge of the field to the creek I hit the owl call and two fired off it was a great feeling and little girl lit up with a smile so we hurried down the creek to the blind I got her put in the blind and set the hen deeks got in and got my misfire slate and gave her her push call and told her when I finish you do a small yelp cadence I hit my slate they fire off then she hit her call they fire off she's happy I'm happy so we stop for a little then I tell her give me some yelps she does they light up the ridge with gobbles then boom 3 big toms pop out in the field no hens I said to little girl this is perfect it was like something out of a nicholas sparks book they see those hen decoys and fall instantly in love and here they come I get ready little girl got the camera on them they are big, big beards and spurs beautiful majestic movements as it seems there hovering into position little girl hits her call they fire away again I said why you do that she says I like to here them gobble I grin and say me too the boss is in perfect position and it put the the red dot right mid ways of his neck then start to squeeze the trigger then knock knock chief it's time to get up it's 5 and I'm mad it was all just a dream was moment away from turning this turkey love story into a Stephen king horror film for the turkey oh well just 7 more days and me and little girl gonna make that dream come true

God Bless the Outdoors

ericjames

Lmbo! You had me all into that one..

nickhrp

It seemed real to me too till I got woke up lol thought that would get a grin out of the team

God Bless the Outdoors