OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

So Winchester did it w/ the Longbeards...Now What?

Started by mightyjoeyoung, March 07, 2014, 08:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandedSpur

I don't think the shot lock technology is applicable to HTL shot, so no, I do not think Winch will take it in that direction. I think the technology is solely about keeping lead shot round, and it does an incredible job of doing that, much better than conventional buffer. HTL does not deform and in my opinion will not benefit from the resin. I don't believe it is "sticking the pellets together" or keeping the shot string together longer downrange or anything like that. What it is doing is keeping every lead pellet round and basically eliminating the flyers that normally migrate to the outer edges of a conventional lead pattern.

Number17

Banded I think you are exactly right, as I've said the same thing elsewhere.

Most Hevi shot is already deformed when it's stuffed into the shell anyway. Very few pellets i've seen are actually round.
There was a lot of talk a few years ago about Hevi shot flying so well because it wasn't round. People argued that the pellets find front-of-center mass as they exit the barrel and continue to fly down range in that same orientation. Think of the shuttle cock affect or lawn darts.
Nobody seems to mention that anymore for some reason.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteBubba Rays Super Duper Nuclear Gobbler Bomb is next

.....with a Push-Button operated Fighting Purr on the side.

THattaway

How are the LBs reacting to chokes? Are they reacting like normal lead or HTL where larger shot likes more open chokes and smaller works better through tighter? I thought the resin also kept the shot more or less static and in place inside the wad from ignition till it exited the choke. It was my understanding that the set back (not sure of the proper terms to describe) at ignition was what caused most of the deformation on lead. I'd have to think that with HTL mashing back into buffer and then hitting a choke versus being static in the resin must be two different things as well. May be way off on this but it makes sense to me.

Here's another idea for you, put that resin based load in a Fed FC wad and tell me what it's gonna do. 200+ lead counts with improved cylinder chokes?
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

FttFttVroom!

Quote from: THattaway on March 08, 2014, 12:32:36 PM
It was my understanding that the set back (not sure of the proper terms to describe) at ignition was what caused most of the deformation on lead.

This is what Winchester specifically designed the resin for......the resin fractures upon ignition, absorbing the energy and becoming a "micro-buffer" as the shot column travels down the barrel.

THattaway

I understood that from the start. My point was shouldn't hevi react in the same way though not being deformed but still be mashed back into the buffer and hit the choke in mass. Figured if that is indeed the case then the hevi shot would benefit in some way from being held in line in the resin like the lead. I guess I am not describing the thought well.

How are the LBs reacting to choke constrictions?
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

shotgun_oly

Or, lets get a little crazy with this  :popcorn: Winchester could get rid of that stupid square blindside steel/funky wad and use the resin technology to improve steel shot pattern performance to take back some of the steel Waterfowl market  :funnyturkey:

Longshanks

The technology that's going on right now..there is no telling what's coming. I don't think I'm gonna be stocking up on anymore shells. Better results seem to be coming.. easier..with the shells coming out. Win LB's have changed the game no doubt and other companies will step up to the plate.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: darn2ten on March 08, 2014, 01:07:54 AM
My question is why? I mean the whole point of the Long Beard is to have a serious alternative to HTL at a affordable cost. HTL already patterns good to extended ranges, and by that i mean past 40. One of the main problems with lead before the LB's past 40 has been pattern density. I mean quite a few people until recently have struggled to break 100 @ 40 with #5's. Now your seeing 5's go 180-200 on a regular basis, which will still have enough pattern density and energy to kill any turkey walking at 50 yds. Now if you gave a HTL load of 5 or 6's the same resin lok technology and it had the same effect you might be looking at something with enough pattern density and energy to reliably kill at 70 yds. I mean at that kind of range you might as well pick up a rifle where it's legal. To me it has more to do with the sport and game that just the killing. I hope we never see factory loads like that.

The only member that responded that got what I was talking about.  It has nothing to do with patents or marketing-well...it does to a point, but more to the fact of when is enough enough?  All the congecture about whether or not there is a patent on the stuff is irrelevant to my post.  When guys see patterns like the ones that are posted here and virtually every other hunting site in the nation right now, a good portion- the weekend warriors and the guys that don't pattern their guns, or have learned to call a bird, or to judge distance, or just the guys with zero patience and shoot the first chance they get.  It's THOSE "hunters"-and again, I use that term loosely with those folks, that are going to fall into the hype and cripple birds thinking they can shoot as far as Winchester is claiming. 
     As far as a resin capsule type, desintegrating buffer for HTL shot (never once did I mention HEVI SHOT), why WOULDN'T it work?  This isn't a debate on aerodynamics, or pattern behaviour.  It is about what is going to happen when all these "hunters" hit the woods thinking they can kill a bird at 60 yards with pb 6's, and if/when somebody puts this technology into an HTL load? 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.