Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Q: Prefer to Hunt Alone Or With A Buddy?

Started by bamagtrdude, March 07, 2014, 03:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Quote from: tnturkey on March 07, 2014, 05:44:56 PM
I enjoy hunting with someone more. but I am more successful by myself.

What are the causes of you not being as successful with someone else?  Just curious; I would agree with your statement, too; there are things you do, by yourself, that's tough to do w/another hunter along with you.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

VaTuRkStOmPeR

A well-tuned pair will murder more turkeys than a lethal solo hunter will any day of the week. Tactically, you have more options available to you (ie drop back, team calling, etc) and you can cover a wider degree of area on your set-up with two guns than you can with one.

That being said, I prefer hunting solo over hunting with 99% of other people unless I'm with my brother.

Honestly, I don't care to hunt with most people and a lot of people don't care to hunt with me.  We're critical of mistakes and are obsessive in our pursuit of flawless hunt.

d.winsor

I like it either way but there tends to be more talking when I have a buddy.  Carries quite a way in the woods.

hookedspur

This
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

MuddyRiver

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 07, 2014, 05:59:51 PM
A well-tuned pair will murder more turkeys than a lethal solo hunter will any day of the week.

In my state we are only allowed two birds in the spring.  I can pretty much do that on my own.   I hunt solo 99% of the time. 

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bigspurs68

I love hunting with my wife and my kids. I am (kinda) patient with them and we have good times. Other than that, I'm better off alone. Others say I need a shock collar and that I walk too far and too fast but that's what I do and I enjoy it.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

WildSpur

I really like to tag team birds.  Gotta admit though the older I get I do like some solitude now and again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

ShortSpurs

I don't have many "buddies" that are died-in-the-wool turkey hunters. Only one and he wants to do ALL the callin' and I do the shooting. Works for me and another day we trade-off. I also hunt WYO., Montana and SD and its hard to find anyone that has the time to be gone from home for several days. The landowners where I hunt there don't care about "hunting" the birds the way we do. They shoot a bird in the backyard when they see one and then go back to work.

I probally wont be hunting by myself much longer as the years are adding-up.

slamman

this one fits me too.  most of the time I'm helping (i.e. calling in the birds) friends and youth hunters in units I don't have a tag in.  then I take my turn in the latter part of the season enjoying the forest without all the hunters.  This year my hunt starts on May 2nd and ends on May 22nd and I will not be hunting until the 18th.  However I have four plus youth hunters to take out starting April 18th then seven other friends to take out from April 25th until May 17th.

Spring Creek Calls

I love to call for others, but when I have the gun I want to be alone, me and the turkey.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

lonnie sneed jr.

The only person I like to hunt with is my Dad. If not him thin I prefer to hunt alone. Dad knows what I am going to do and I know what he will do when set up on a gobbler. Anybody else I don't know them and they don't know me. nothing against a buddy, I just do not have one that I trust on a gobbler.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

tomstopper

Quote from: budtripp on March 07, 2014, 04:27:43 PM
When I'm deer hunting I prefer to be alone hands down. But turkey hunting is a buddy sport to me. I do enjoy hunting alone but enjoy it even more when I have a good friend along
:agreed:

flintlock

If I am in KILL mode alone is best.  With that said I have a good time w friends as well and it really depends on what the goal is.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Tomspur

It takes quite  bit of time and effort to get comfortable hunting with someone else. That said, I like to call and move around by myself and not worry about someone else and what they are wanting to do so I mostly hunt by myself.