Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Q: Prefer to Hunt Alone Or With A Buddy?

Started by bamagtrdude, March 07, 2014, 03:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

more successful by myself but partner hunts are fun

captin_hook

stone road turkey calls

I like hunting alone, but also enjoy a friend or family. can't beat sharing this time and a cup of hot chocolate with my grandson in our blind.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

turkeyfoot

I have way more fun hunting with someone but I seem to be bad luck because my brother has missed 3 of last 4 with me. I do kill more alone for some reason probably because I will walk into places no one else will and not as much yapping

Turkey fryin

Most of my buddy's are deer and coon hunters and I can't get them into the woods for birds so I've always hunted alone.  I'm going to take my wife this turkey season and I have two sons that are too young right now but I'm looking forward to takin all of them with me! I'm sure I'll still have my solo hunts cause it's the only time I get to just be in the woods alone without distraction of normal life! There's nothing more peaceful to me than layin back in a bush and listening to the sounds if nature.

Stay calm, Go turkey hunting!

chatterbox

The problem I have encountered with the guys I hunt with, is they like to hunt in blinds, and my turkey hunting has evolved from that.
I used to love to hunt with my FIL, but he likes to be in a blind, I have a buddy that I taught how to hunt birds, but once I shared my spots with him, he neglected to share a prime piece of property with me, so my hunting with him has cooled a bit.
My son's Babe Ruth coach who is a good friend of mine could be a good hunting buddy. He has potential.
However, my absolute favorite hunting buddy is my son.
So long story short, unless I am with Harrison, I would rather hunt alone.

sasquatch1

I almost always hunt alone and I really enjoy it but its also mostly all I know. I do alot of local hunting and also go on several road trips per year all solo. Im sure I would hunt with a partner more if I had any friends that werent Pansies and could actually go hunt rather than be told what they can and cant do by their Girl Friends.

owlhoot

like a buddy, my son . like to go with friends too. Limit on tags so now i like to sit in the blind and let everyone else get their turkey that way i get to enjoy more. Doesn't matter to me if i get one, i just enjoy the show more now. Have shot plenty by myself and others  for 25 years without a blind, use one for around 10 years of and on now. Fidgety friends and kids come along enjoy too. Go by myself, plenty.
Don't know about no evolution.?

silvestris

It's a one man game, but I am glad that most folks buddy up.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

old3toe

If I'm going for fun then i'll hunt with someone. If I'm serious i go alone. 99% of my hunting is alone. Deer or turkey. I seem to do things a lot more differently than some of my friends. Which is fine since everyone has their own comfort zone.

Beard Collecter

I mostly hunt with my uncle who I have hunted with for almost 30 years. He is a diehard turkey hunter and we hunt almost everyday of the season unless I'm hunting out of state or it's windy (he hates the wind due to hearing loss). He is never late and always ready to go but lacks patience at times and we have to talk often while working birds so I can tell him what's going on and keep in pointed in the right direction. My 2 nephews just moved to South Dakota last year with their family and really miss hunting with them as they were turning into good hunters. Will be going out to hunt with them end of April. On the rare occasion I hunt alone, I really enjoy it and score more times than not.

njdevilsb

I prefer hunting with my dad.  We have turkey hunted together for 15 years and I think I've only gone twice without him in that period of time.

jblackburn

Depends on who the someone is!

I have buddies, I have hunting buddies, and I have turkey hunting buddies! 

For instance, I have a really good buddy from high school that is a good turkey hunter, but we just don't jive in the turkey woods, and we both know it.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

datrip

Quote from: sasquatch1 on March 08, 2014, 10:21:11 AM
I almost always hunt alone and I really enjoy it but its also mostly all I know. I do alot of local hunting and also go on several road trips per year all solo. Im sure I would hunt with a partner more if I had any friends that werent Pansies and could actually go hunt rather than be told what they can and cant do by their Girl Friends.

:z-guntootsmiley: Now that ^^^^ is what I call a great first post right there!!!  :wagon:
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

CT Spur Collector

Both but if the pressure is on.....alone.