OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

who are what got started turkey hunting ?

Started by snuff can, March 13, 2011, 10:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamblinman

A friend of my dad got me started, but the late Dick Kirby is what lit my fire many years ago, Met him on a hunt in Western Ok in the early '70's. Still have the box call that he gave me.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

West Augusta

I've only been hunting for about 10 years.  I was stuck in Pittsburgh during the week for four months on a big project for work.  In the evenings, there wasn't much to do other than watch the Outdoor Channel.  The turkey hunting shows caught my attention and I thought it might be fun.  Ten years  and a whole bunch of money later, I can admit that I am addicted. :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

8upbowhunter

I grew up hunting everything except turkey because they do not have any where I live. Never had an interest in hunting them until last year when my 23 yr old son wanted to go. With 1 week left in the season we bought a slate call some turkey loads and headed out to our deer camp 2 hrs away for the weekend. The first morning we heard 6 different gobblers and set up on 2 of them but never did see any. We roosted one that evening and set up on him the next morning but we were on the wrong ridge when he fired off the first gobble of the morning. Not knowing anything about the sport we stayed put and tried to call him over but that didn't work. It was still dark and we should have moved back up the ridge and got on the one he was on. We never saw a turkey that weekend but we both got the fever bad. We have been studying them for a year and learning how to call and set up so maybe this year we will do better. This is a self learning experience so it may take a while before we kill one. The area we hunt only has a 7 day season so we took vacation for that week. We also got drawn for a lottery hunt 2 weekends before the season opener.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: neal on March 13, 2011, 11:00:49 PM
Myself, turkey hunting in Northern WI was basically unheard of.

Same here in E. Texas.  We had some turkeys on our lease and in 2000 they opened it up to hunt them after letting the flock built up.
I bought a couple of tapes and some calls and scouted some.
Got one on my second trip out and I've been addicted ever since!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ghillie

I had always had an interest..especially since a kid watching the Waltons and grandpa Walton chasin those gobblers on the mountain!!   ;D

My good friend Joe actually got me started and I've been hooked ever since

Basser69

Squirrel and rabbit was my Grandfather. Deer, dove and quail was my Dad. The turkey hunting has all been done on my own. I wish I would have had someone to jump start my turkey killing but I have progressed along fairly well.

BrowningGuy88

My grandfather started me out at 6 years old. I killed one about half way through the season that year one afternoon. I was with him when he killed 3 others that year. Boy I couldn't even sleep on the night before a hunt.

It's funny cause now I am the one taking him. He is still in good health, but with the heart condition is scared to go off far by himself so he only hunts when I can go with him.

Daman

guesswho

I started in 1965 with my Dad and our neighbor George Lofton.   Mr. George loved turkey hunting, and I still think of him often while I'm standing on ones neck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

Basically, a guy that went quail hunting with us told me that he had turkeys on his place, and knowing that I was teenager that liked to shoot stuff, he invited me out the following spring.  He never went with me, because he didn't hunt 'em in the spring time...said he didn't have the heart to shoot 'em when all they're trying to do is get laid.   :D

totallycluckedup

My dad got me into hunting... we didn't hunt much when I was a kid.... but now it's all we talk about.  I have buddies that I hunt with, but there is nothing like a father and son hunt.  My boy is only 9 months old.. I hope he takes to it like I did

harvester

My dad got me into squirrel hunting and chasin rabbits a little bit and it just grew from there. I have learned pretty much all that I know by myself and from reading everything I could get my hands on.

Thanks dad for gettin started.  :jesus-cross:

sugarray

I have deer hunted with my uncle, cousin, and friends.  The doc that my mom (nurse) worked for took us a lot as well.  2 yrs ago I decided I would give it a try as the weather was warm, I could just put up a blind anywhere and not spook them, and I could take my 4 yr old son.  I bought a Primos Spring hen push pin and a Primos power crystal.  Worked, and worked.  Borrowed my brother's Rem 870 express 12 gauge with an 18" barrel.  Went to Wal-Mart and bought 2.75", 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot.  Shot it at 30 yds and got 39 pellets in a circle (don't even know why I counted).  Went out the Saturday before the season and did not see or hear a turkey.  Decided to set up on our deer lease as I had seen 3 hens that fall.  Set the blind and 2 chairs up day before.  Got up and had me, my son, back pack full of coloring implements and food, a gun and a cushion for his chair (he couldn't see out of the blind).  On the way in, right at twilight, 0600, I heard a gobble.  Told my son to hit his call and 2 thunderous gobbles erupted.  We then ran 100 yds to the blind and set up.  Started calling and had the 2 in front of us and then 1 behind us gobbling.  This went back and forth for about and hour.  My son had just gone to sleep when he showed up.  Full strut the entire time and shot him over the decoy at 20 yds.  We were hooting and hollaring.  That got the fire going and now I have killed 4 birds and hope to get him his first this year.

squeaks

My uncle got me started,the first year I just called for him., that was 1994.In 95 I had the tag and he helped call and it was his last year don't know why he stoped but it was all I needed to get the fever,last year I started my twins hunting the thunder chicken and have no regrets. :character0029:

Reloader

Growing up we didn't have turkeys in our neck of the woods.  I still remember seeing the first turkey track I'd ever laid eyes on while deer hunting with Dad, looked just like a bird track, a BIG bird :D.   When they finally grew into a huntable population, Dad decided to give it a try with an old lynch slate call and beginners luck bagged him one of the better Easterns we've taken on our land. After hearing the story, I had to give it a try myself.  It took me a while to learn what the heck I was doing, but I finally learned enough from Mother Nature to bag a nice tom and it's been a crazy addiction ever since.

Reloader

misfire

I got started all on my own. Nobody else to blame for this affliction other than myself :TooFunny: 
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net