Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Scouting Reports

Started by Drthorn, March 06, 2014, 07:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drthorn

So, I've got a little over a month left before opening day. Time to start really focusing on scouting and locating birds. Hoping to get out this weekend to scout a bit. Getting over yet another snow storm here in KY so with the warmer weather this weekend I am hoping to maybe see a few birds out and about. Gonna take my camera with me and try to video if I can and post it on here.

What is everybody else's plan in regards to upcoming season dates/scouting...anybody hearing any gobbling?

I'd like to keep this thread going to keep our team members up to date on turkey activity within our areas.

JW

I am still pursuing kill tags.
I have been awarded my Michigan tag
I have the 1st of my Wisconsin tags with 6 to 7 more to go.
And it looks like I will make TN for 3 or 4 days.

I am teaching a learn to turkey hunt program in the state of WI and am looking forward to that.
All about turkey hunting and then students are paired one on one for a half day free hunt with a mentor.
I have 5 hrs to fill the day before all about the wild turkey biology and then from hunting tactics to calling, to safety, to patterning, to cleaning the wild turkey, to which we will do some actual shooting at targets.

Lets me take my Hunter Education Instructorship one step farther.

JW

headbanger

2 weeks to go here before opening day...scouted one of my small little private honey holes last w/e. Lots of scratching going on and heard a few hens at daylight. No gobbles that particular morning. Talked with the land owner of another private spot this week and he is seeing several hens with a couple of toms hanging around but not strutting yet. Will do some long range scouting at this location this w/e. Left a couple of good seed toms here last year due to tagging out. All is looking and sounding good at this point. Should be a fun season :fud:

Drthorn

Quote from: JW on March 06, 2014, 10:52:51 PM
I am still pursuing kill tags.
I have been awarded my Michigan tag
I have the 1st of my Wisconsin tags with 6 to 7 more to go.
And it looks like I will make TN for 3 or 4 days.

I am teaching a learn to turkey hunt program in the state of WI and am looking forward to that.
All about turkey hunting and then students are paired one on one for a half day free hunt with a mentor.
I have 5 hrs to fill the day before all about the wild turkey biology and then from hunting tactics to calling, to safety, to patterning, to cleaning the wild turkey, to which we will do some actual shooting at targets.

Lets me take my Hunter Education Instructorship one step farther.

JW

sounds awesome..wish they had something like this when I was a kid...do you ever make it to KY?

JW

Hey doc I do pass thru on my way to TN...

JW

Drthorn

well turkeys are still hiding..went out this morning hoping to hear a few gobbles but to no avail...might have made out a hen yelping about 1000 yds away. i'll be heading out hopefully each weekend until season starts

B-Rad1

It's been pretty quite here in Louisiana until yesterday morning when I heard  two gobble down on my lease. One sounds like a young bird  and I the other has a little age on him. Just two more weeks over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwr

Going to Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas!!!  ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fud: :OGani:

JW

I will be hunting TN 4/7 for a few days.

Hey Drthorn - I do pass thru KY for a little bit. Depends which I system I take - 65 or 57 to get to Nashville to which I turn and go south. I hunt 80 miles south of Nashville.

JW

Gobblerjim

Was out Wednesday morning. Had one roosted close but to no avail. Be back at em sunday.

headbanger

Gonna hit the private tract and then the big woods for the day tomorrow. Hoping to find a few new hot spots to add to the old familiar killin grounds. Come on 03/22!

woodsman1977

Over two feet of snow here still, so the only scouting I am doing right now is......look out the window at the bird feeder

Frank G

No name team members, can someone post or PM me the link to our banner.  :icon_thumright: Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

Frank G  In Tennessee

headbanger

Sat. 03/15...4 toms heard at daylight. They were lighting it up this morning.one ol lonely tom must have gobbled 100 times... Doubling and tripling. I was wishing he would shut up as I was on private but very close to public land. Sounds good for the opener next week!

Drthorn

Quote from: Frank G on March 14, 2014, 03:09:49 PM
No name team members, can someone post or PM me the link to our banner.  :icon_thumright: Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

did you ever get this?