turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Picky Customer Rant!! (Long Read)

Started by Gobblerstopper, March 06, 2014, 06:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblerstopper

So the other day I am out working on some orders and this young man shows up unannounced.  I'm actually not too fond of guest while I'm working, since powertools and distractions don't normally work out too well.  "I want a turkey call".  Ok, I've never claimed to be an expert turkey hunter or call maker, but after talking with someone for a little bit, I can usually get a pretty good idea of what they want.

"I want you to make it now."  Ok, I've got several calls that I am trying to get done, so I explain that and it doesn't seem to change his mind.  He wants me to stop trying to fill an order and work on his call.  Obviously this kid doesn't realize that I don't just "make a call" and be done with it.  Everyone knows there is drying time and other things that keep you from just getting a call done right then.  I suggest one that's already turned or to come back in a little bit, but still he is having nothing to do with it.  So I start his call.

He's a smaller guy, so I'm guessing a 3" call.  I'll make it slate.  More durable and less maintenance for the kid that obviously lacks patience.  I turn the pot and after taking it off the lathe, he ask, "why did you put a big hole in the back?"  Thinking that it will help the slate sound better I explain that to him.  "I want glass in it".  Oh boy, now I've turned a pot he doesn't like and I'm going to put the wrong surface in it also?  The slate call now becomes a glass call and it only gets better from there.

"I don't like the way you put the tracks in the back, they don't look right." 

Really?  Never heard that before, but ok.

"I'd like to draw my own and I want to paint them green instead of black. I also want to put my name and date on the back."

I have now realized that I am not going to win with this kid and I might as well give in, since I would like for him to be a repeat customer and his payment method is pretty hard to beat.  The kid draws his own tracks and I dremel them in and he paints them green.  We put several coats of finish on the call.  Finally it is ready to put together and he is right there with me wanting to "sand his own glass." 

So finally after about 3 days, I have the finished call and he is here to pick it up.

Yes, the little customer was my 5 year old boy and he paid with a big hug and told me he was going to use it to kill a turkey this year.  Can't beat that....lol

letinmfly

Andy,

That is awesome bud!!  Can't believe how big he got already.  Good for him and hopefully he'll get to kill a turkey with that call this year!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

strutnrut

SS Calls

TnTurk

You really had me going with that one. I kept waiting on the part where the kid got a mouth full of pot call. :lol: He would of been hard for me to say no to as well. God Bless, Steve

Shellwaster

Best customer ever.

My 4 year old daughter was sitting in my lap as I clicked through this post and she said she wants me to make her a turkey call. Now I have to figure out how to make a call for her to decorate.

Jacobson

alloutdoors

Good job dad, you're doing it right! You had me going up to the part about the tracks, then I realized how much it sounded like my own little boy.

mwr

Hooksnhorns

:TooFunny:  Man, you had me goin as well. I really liked that post and pics. Best post I've read all yr. Good luck to the young man w/ his very nice glass call.
Don't Tread On Me

outdoors

OWSOME MAN YA HAD  ME GOING THERE , OWSOME   :z-winnersmiley:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Gold Spur

By the size of his smile, I'd say you have a customer for life. Great story!
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

grayfox

What a great story. Had me going too. That kids gonna be a winner for sure. He knows exactly what he wants & how to get it done.