Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

looking for choke and shot recommondations, NWTF Browning BPS, 12, 3"

Started by tracker#1, March 04, 2014, 04:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracker#1

can any one recommend a choke and shot combo for a NWTF Browning BPS, 12, 3", factory back bored. Not happy with pattern from factory full turkey and briley super turkey chokes. Shooting 5s

R AJ

I have shot the longbeard 3" #6s in a 655 choke and 665 that both will do. For #5s the 660-675 should get good hunting patterns. My best all around in that gun is a 660.

tracker#1

Thanks, I should have mentioned the barrel is 24" and I had a gunsmith side port it. Some people told me that having it side ported might have jeopardized the integrity of the gun. Not sure on that.

bigdale

You should try the hevishot chokes with hevishot loads. I've had great results with this combo.

cahaba

I'm getting 250 average hits with a SX3 barrel shooting 3" MagBlends with a .675 Kicks GT choke. I get 225 with an Indian Creek .665

Birdman

I shoot an Indian Creek .665 with 3.5" Winchester Supreme #5 out of my BPS. Never failed me yet!

darn2ten

I've got a Invector plus browning. The first choke I ever bought for it was a Briley Super Turkey straight rifled, that choke did pretty good in my gun. The truglo SSX did real well in it, shot 120's-130's with Win. Super X 3" 5's, and Turkey Thugs 3"5's. if your a #6 guy it shot Win. XX 3-2-6 good, with a best of 144 in the 10" @ 40. Right now I am shooting a .665 Indian Creek. and am averaging between 180 - 200 with the 3" #5 Win. Long Beard with a best of 203 in the 10 @ 40. My barrel is 26" and has been polished.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tracker#1 on March 04, 2014, 04:59:06 PM
can any one recommend a choke and shot combo for a NWTF Browning BPS, 12, 3", factory back bored. Not happy with pattern from factory full turkey and briley super turkey chokes. Shooting 5s

I'm a little late it appears but welcome to OG, a great site with many helpful and friendly folks.

I shoot several Invector+ guns, including the BPS and the SX3 models. There are frankly several chokes that can work very well. It's really all about how the choke is designed internally. Browning recommends their Full Strut Turkey choke with a .640 exit diameter. It's a good choke but very expensive. I shoot the SSX in mine and it does very well with an exit diameter of .643. Either of those chokes will work well in your 24" ported barrel.

I recommend either #7 or #6 Hevi-13 shells with one of those chokes for your gun. Those are the shells that do best in mine and what I've seen do best in other I+ bores like yours.

Lastly, what's really important of course is the quality of your pattern. I like to see dense even patterns in 10" at 40 yards (no large holes, few 2" or more) with a good halo pattern out to 14" or even 18". Numbers can be high but if there are large holes and gaps the patterns may not be what you need.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."