turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are you a member of the NWTF?

Started by Ruger M77, March 04, 2014, 04:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger M77

I just wonderd how many on here were members of the NWTF. And if not why? In the past I've noticed some hate on here towards the NWTF. How come?
I eat therefore I hunt

bamagtrdude

I joined when I first started turkey hunting years ago; same thing with the USGA when I started golfing.  Have let both memberships lapse, tho.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Gooserbat

I'll post up.  Yes I'm a member, and no I don't agree with all they do but the truth is they have done a lot of good, but they have forgotten their roots imho.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

Nope!  Short version of why not.  Them taking credit for something they had little involvement in.  Plus taking advantage of good, hard working, dedicated volunteers.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

renegade19

Ruger M77

I should have mentioned I am a member the chapter in my area does a good amount of work on the public lands around here
I eat therefore I hunt

GobbleNut

Although I think the NWTF has done a lot of good for wild turkeys and wild turkey hunters, the organization of late has dropped into survival mode due to the economy.  They have recently been making poor decisions based on dollars rather than good sense, and that has alienated a lot of good volunteers that have been staunch supporters in the past.  I am one of those.  Until they show me that they value their volunteers more than the dollar bill, they will have a hard time regaining my respect.

Here in New Mexico, we had a situation where they had to make a choice between "money" or "ethics" related to the leadership here,...and they chose "money".  Hence, much of our state leadership,...some of which had been the backbone of the state organization for decades,...said "adios".

jakesdad

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

captin_hook

Yepper, I'm a member, they've done a lot for the bird population here in PA, so therefore they get my dues every year.

hotrod3h

mudhen

Yes.

I have never heard a valid discussion that shows the NWTF does more harm than good for the wild turkey population....

Pretty simple though, without Missouri, states like Pennsylvania, and the NWTF, the wild turkey population would not be what it is today...

$35 per year - $25 gift card to Bass Pro = no brainer for me....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

darn2ten

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 04, 2014, 04:45:55 PM
I'll post up.  Yes I'm a member, and no I don't agree with all they do but the truth is they have done a lot of good, but they have forgotten their roots imho.
^^This^^ 

silvestris

Unfortunately, yes.  I coughed up $300 for a life membership in the 70s.  I soon lost interest as (1) I realized that there was little they could do for the non-migratory Wild Turkey; (2) I saw them taking credit for the work of the state game agencies (God bless them).  A guy on the recent Turkey Thugs NWTF praising video was bragging about the NWTF trapping and transporting Wild Turkeys in Mississippi in the 50s when the NWTF was not created until 1973.  The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks did a marvelous job of trapping and transporting turkeys in the 50s.  We have far fewer turkeys today than we did in 1973.

I don't give the NWTF credit for what we have today, nor do I blame them for the decline either.  I do blame them for the fact that I have to have a reservation to be able to sit to a turkey because of the huge increase in the number of turkey hunters.  As far as habitat goes, I blame the clear cutting practices of the timber industry and CRP which caused many a bugging area to be converted to pine trees at taxpayer expense.

For the most part, I have forgotten about the NWTF and it seems that they have forgotten about me, too, since I haven't received their girley magazine for quite a while.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

kiltman

Flydown