turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are you a member of the NWTF?

Started by Ruger M77, March 04, 2014, 04:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKMGOBL

I was for many years but after witnessing things on the banquet committee, my view of them has changed. Yes they have done great things but like someone else said, they've forgot what their path was or where it is.
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: Ruger M77 on March 04, 2014, 10:02:54 PM
Quote from: srmturk on March 04, 2014, 09:31:06 PM
I'm a member but just got their latest magazine and in it you'll see a classic non-profit mistake. Building a new taj mahal. Read the spin. Somehow it will save the habitat and save the hunt.  I'm sorry...are you kidding me?  A new building?  So that will be my last dues check. Building an expensive edifice and then insulting my intelligence with the spin. Classic. Projects like that have a way of being an organization's undoing. Seen it many times
I agree I don't see the need for the the new building but as you said it comes with the territory. But for that matter have you ever seen the NRA building? It's a regular sky scraper and ain't none of us complainin about that it's just the way it is. But I believe we as hunters should stick up for these organizations that stick up for us

There is a real big difference in the NRA and the NWTF.....

Without the NRA we would have already lost our gun rights.....the NRA protects our rights as US Citizens. 

The NWTF wouldn't be missed if it dissolved tomorrow.

To the good.....the NWTF vacuums very large sums of money out of the states and in return puts on a few jakes events to prepare the next generation for the cleansing.

catdaddy

I am not a member for a variety of reasons. I don't care for their web site and their message board is poorly managed. The market is ripe for a competing organization.

L.F. Cox

We sure don't need two blood sucking organizations.

Ruger M77

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 04, 2014, 07:38:40 PM
Here's what the late Parker Whedon had to say after attending an NWTF convention.....best I can recollect it was something to the effect that it would be real hard to find a real turkey hunter in place.
Strange comment I've never been to a convention but I know a guy who goes every year He also kills more turkeys than anybody I know every spring in several states  on public land
I eat therefore I hunt

L.F. Cox

Knowing Parker I didn't take it to imply there were none there....just that given the size of the crowd one would be hard to pick out.

Ruger M77

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 05, 2014, 09:18:13 AM
Knowing Parker I didn't take it to imply there were none there....just that given the size of the crowd one would be hard to pick out.
Ok gotcha :icon_thumright: Im not saying its all good I just seen what the local chapter was doing around here so I joined. I would like to get involved in the things they do on the public lands that I hunt on.
I eat therefore I hunt

ElkTurkMan

buzzardroost

I am not. Reason being, I don't see them standing up for the turkey population in my area of Tennessee.  We have a 4 bird limit across the state and liberal fall seasons. Some places can handle this, a lot of areas cannot handle this and our populations have went way down hill. No NWTF chapter in my area has taken any kind of stance to get changes to happen. If I saw them trying to change things, I would join.

pappy

Was now Not......why? My personal reasons. What do I think about the NWTF? Well, like most I think they are headed down a path that will lead them into a pot hole of trouble. So many reports of Chapters closing their doors, why? non-support ..... this is what I am hearing from talking to many chapter members....can I back up what I am saying, sure can, as far as the NWTF having a big hand in repopulating birds here in Missouri...LOL...is all I can say. As far as the Nationals, when I went last time and they has a PSYCHIC BOOTH setup, I figured it would be my last. Again, my personal reasoning behind my opinions are mine.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

stinkpickle

Yes, but I'm not really involved.  I get a Bass Pro gift card and a subscription to the only turkey magazine still in print.   ;D

allaboutshooting

I've been a member for 30+ years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ShortSpurs

Off and on. The local board is made-up of the same husband/wife group for about 20 years. No new folks getting involved. The banquet used to draw 350, now about 200. Most small business' can't support as they did years back.

I don't know the answer, some of it may be that landowners are now closing-up their places to local turkey hunters and leasing it to rich people that want a place to race their 4 wheelers on the weekends. Times are achangin', I'm afear'd.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 04, 2014, 07:01:11 PM

As far as restocking turkeys the NWTF has never restocked any turkeys in any state....it was all done by the state game and fish commissions.

The NWTF was just along for the ride.
I think without the NWTF pushing and lobbying it would have been much less a national effort and solely state by state with little interaction or restocking done.
That much money had to be good for something besides Rob Keck's hunting trips.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!