OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Are you a member of the NWTF?

Started by Ruger M77, March 04, 2014, 04:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger M77

Quote from: silvestris on March 04, 2014, 06:06:45 PM
.  We have far fewer turkeys today than we did in 1973.

Really I didn't think any state had less than they did back then
I eat therefore I hunt

L.F. Cox

Mississippi probably does have less turkeys today.

I'm an NWTF Silver Life member....it was given to me by the NWTF.

As far as restocking turkeys the NWTF has never restocked any turkeys in any state....it was all done by the state game and fish commissions.

The NWTF was just along for the ride.

West Augusta

Yes but only active at the convention.  Not interested in local chapters.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

guesswho

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 04, 2014, 07:01:11 PM
As far as restocking turkeys the NWTF has never restocked any turkeys in any state....it was all done by the state game and fish commissions.
The boxes looked good for the photo shoots though.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Fatbeard

I have been a member for 22 years I am also a sponsor member, Three Rivers Longbeards President and JAKES Coodinator. Both my kids are members into 2040 something from signing them up at all the events we attend. My wife is a WITO member as well. If you turkey hunt any at all you should be a member. Also be involved in your local chapters as well.
East TN Beard Buster

d.winsor

About 1993 I joined the NWTF because I loved turkey hunting and wanted to give something to help.  I went to some meetings and it was always the same people running everything all the time, new members would come, make a few meetings, and quit coming because they saw what was going on.  I hung in for awhile and the Youth hunt was scheduled, this was before season even opened.  It was scheduled for the last day of the season, On PUBLIC land!  That kind of showed me what the NWTF was all about, I can guarantee you the children of the higher ups in the NWTF didn't have to wait until the last weekend or hunt public land.  I still hung in there I don't know why.  I loaded up my 12 year old daughter as she was my hunting bud, she had patterned a 12 gauge 870 with 2 3/4 #6's and earned the right to be my turkey partner.  We went to the scheduled last day hunt, I had not killed my first bird as of yet.  Parents were going up to the NWTF local chapter officials !! Begging them to take their kids and help them get a turkey.  Eventually I got into a discussion with the head guy and it came up that I had tried calling some birds, he grunted and told me that I was educating the birds, didn't make any attempt to tell me what I was doing wrong just acted like the turkey god.  I packed up my daughter and we went back home.  I eventually got my first bird, was told it was 5 to 6 years old.  My partner was with me.  We had a good time.  Since then I have not had anything to do with the NWTF, I am glad that many states are making a youth season for deer and turkey hunting, it gives the youth a real chance to get a deer or a turkey.  Not to just try to take leary leftover birds.

L.F. Cox

Here's what the late Parker Whedon had to say after attending an NWTF convention.....best I can recollect it was something to the effect that it would be real hard to find a real turkey hunter in place.

Spring Creek Calls

Yes, been a member for many years and will continue to be as long as some good comes out of the organization for the wild turkey.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Shoregobbler

Yes I am a member. Remember that any organization that is a lobbyist for the good of the hunter and strives to acquire and create habitat for wild game species can't be all that bad. As with all of the other big name conservation organizations, there is always going to be some politics involved. I just think the good that they do overshadows the bad that exists.

surehuntsalot

was for several years,finally wised up and quit them
from what I've seen they do nothing in Mississippi and they are alot more worried about money than turkeys
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SinGin

:popcorn: I'm guessing this one might go 4 or 5 pages

Ruger M77

Quote from: Shoregobbler on March 04, 2014, 08:16:53 PM
Yes I am a member. Remember that any organization that is a lobbyist for the good of the hunter and strives to acquire and create habitat for wild game species can't be all that bad. As with all of the other big name conservation organizations, there is always going to be some politics involved. I just think the good that they do overshadows the bad that exists.
x2 I agree there may be some bad but I'd definatley say there's more good
I eat therefore I hunt

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: mudhen on March 04, 2014, 05:59:55 PM

$35 per year - $25 gift card to Bass Pro = no brainer for me....

mudhen
I've been thinking about joining for this reason and I'd think the magazines would help a new hunter like myself.

srmturk

I'm a member but just got their latest magazine and in it you'll see a classic non-profit mistake. Building a new taj mahal. Read the spin. Somehow it will save the habitat and save the hunt.  I'm sorry...are you kidding me?  A new building?  So that will be my last dues check. Building an expensive edifice and then insulting my intelligence with the spin. Classic. Projects like that have a way of being an organization's undoing. Seen it many times