turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hearing any gobbling?

Started by northms, March 04, 2014, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

For my southern brethren, are you hearing in gobbling? Specifically interested in MS but curious about other Southern states also.

I'm about dang tired of all this cold weather.  Youth weekend is coming up this weekend in MS :OGturkeyhead:

jblackburn

I'm almost as far from being in a southern state as you can get, but I've heard reports that they are gobbling pretty well in the mornings up here in WA.  I've got to get out and listen, I'm getting cabin fever! When I came home from lunch today, a bunch of crows were calling and I paused, half expecting to hear a gobble!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

VA_Birdhunter

I'm beating you can here sporadic gobbling in VA right now and maybe some descent roost gobbling at times...but I'm out of pocket to tell right now.  Would love to hear some though!!!  Now that is a fix!!!

God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

turkey_slayer

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on March 04, 2014, 04:47:21 PM
I'm beating you can here sporadic gobbling in VA right now and maybe some descent roost gobbling at times...but I'm out of pocket to tell right now.  Would love to hear some though!!!  Now that is a fix!!!

God bless

I haven't heard a peep but been watching them. About 5 min ago I was watching 23. 7 Jake's and no longbeards. Yesterday there was 26 with 3 longbeards

renegade19

My buddy is hearing them in East Tennessee. 

FullChoke

Hearing gobbling from multiple birds every time that I have been out scouting this year.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Greenshed Longbeard

I saw a little bit of sparing yesterday on the drive home from work. Saw a group of eight long beards and two were bumping it is close in east TN.
Greenshed Longbeard

Gooserbat

As soon as we get some warm mornings I'll be staring my listing.  I just can't get used to the idea of listening for turkeys in the snow.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

R AJ

One mile from Florida line and it was 33* last night and raining w/high of 44 today. Last weekend was nice but I didn't make it out to listen. We will possibly have a great spring in Alabama due to all the messy weather . Maybe next week things will start to straighten out.

With rain and such every other day the only thing you know is that any tracks are fairly fresh.

highwaygun

I have seen some strutters in arkansas from the road but havent been out to listen for gobbles. But bet if there strutting they are gobbling.

Frank G

Quote from: northms on March 04, 2014, 03:39:32 PM
For my southern brethren, are you hearing in gobbling? Specifically interested in MS but curious about other Southern states also.

I'm about dang tired of all this cold weather.  Youth weekend is coming up this weekend in MS :OGturkeyhead:

Just across the line in TN, they are staring to gobble a bit. Not a lot but starting to get vocal. Our youth hunt is the third weekend .............. then US  :happy0064:

:help:
May be a bit quiet because of this guy!  :angry9:

Frank G  In Tennessee

lung

Upstate, SC foothills.

I spent 4 hours out today, stalking around the hunt club. Found one scat location, NO gobbling what so ever.

My neighbor has a tom with his chickens in the pen. He lives about 200 yards from me, I can step out when the weather is warm and make him gobble. I did it for about 20 mins the other day, I wonder if the neighbor got upset. LOL  :funnyturkey:

Preacher

was hearing good gobbling untill htis last cold spell in southwest ms.    they are getting fired up
Romans 8:37

Skeeterbait

In south Alabama not only am I not hearing any gobbling, I am seeing the least sign in usual spring habitat areas as I have ever seen.  Suspecting they are still grouped up and in winter mode, hunkered down.  Hope that is it anyway, otherwise I have a problem this year.

ericjames

There not grouped up in northern Washington county. They have been busted up first week or so of February. I had a group of 17 gobblers. The area I a saw those at I've only saw 2 lately and there is several groups of 2-3  scattered around the property. Now the hens I saw a group of 9 in one place and 12 in another. So the hems have not split off yet. I didn't go listen this morning I was gonna go tomorrow and I will try to go listen every morning until our season comes in. I have been trying to find a youth to take, this is the first year all the kids I know are either under 3 or over 16..