OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

do they still make Winchester Supremes?

Started by danny, March 04, 2014, 09:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny

I used to shoot federal in my Mossburg 500 but I have a Benelli Nova now and Federal just didn't pattern right so I switched to Winchester Supremes.  I cant seem to find them now.  Did Winchester quit making them?  If so, what did they replace them with....?......Danny

d.winsor

No they don't make the winchester supreme high velocity shells anymore, I was surfing around the net at a few sites and I saw them, I've got a lot stocked so I didn't need them, but they are out their still.  Try Graf & Son, Vance Outdoors, LG Outdoors, Hunting4less.com, just to name a few.  I don't remember which sites had them but I think a couple of those did, don't remember if they were 3 or 3 1/2 or what size shot.  The shell they replaced it with is not the same thing, they are black, don't know the name.  Double X or something.

CASH

From what I can tell, the new Double X is just a new package for the high velocity with a new buffer
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Turkey Trot

I couldn't figure out the absence of Supreme from the shelves either, and looked at Winchester ammo's website.  Supreme is missing.  I was clicking on some Double X images, and the word Supreme was printed on the cartridges depicted with the Double X box.  But I have opened a Double X box in the store, and the word Supreme was nowhere to be found.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Pages/default.aspx
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Vabirddog

The high velocity Double XX loading is the same as the supreme. Just a name change they even have the same stock #.  I went through this last spring:)

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bamagtrdude

aaaaahhhhh ...  Winchester Supreme's ...  *sigh*   :z-flirtysmile3:
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

REDTAIL

Iv'e been using the Remington Duplex  2X4's & 4x6's Turkey loads for Years now & a Tru- Glo Choke on my Moss 500 gun, with great success out to apx 45 Yds with no problems for an instant ill shot. :happy0064:

Lukas929

This seems to be an ongoing strictly opinionated topic. Are these the same exact shell or no??!

d.winsor

I have heard a lot of people say Winchester Double X is the same shell as the Winchester Supreme HV.  I am going to be patterning my SX3 around June 27th and needed a cheap shell to shoot to keep from using many of my Supreme HV so I bought a box of 3" Double X.  I am going to use 2 3/4" shells at 12 yards and when I move to 40 yards I am going to start out with the Double X.  Then I am going to finish patterning with the supreme HV.  I'll be able to tell if the Double X is even similar to the Supreme HV, I have shot the supreme since about 1992.  My contention is that Winchester is not going to take their own shell (the supreme HV) quit making it and rebrand it (the Double X) with a different name, and sell it for less.  I am not saying the Winchester Double X is not a good shell, winchester makes good ammo, I am saying that I don't think it is as good as the supreme HV.  I have noticed some marketing ploys that say they have the supreme turkey load, showing the original box of Supreme HV, then when you go to cart it says supreme Double X loads.  They are trying to cash in on the good name of supreme HV.  In any event come june 27th I will know for myself one way or the other.  Yes you can still find them sometimes, places are clearing out their old stock, if you really want them you have to go check the shot shell counter of every store that has one, every time you are a store.

Lukas929

That's what I was thinking why would their older shells still be selling for $2.00 more a box then the new double x if they were exactly the same. Their is no logical reason I can think of to that.

Roost 1

Same shells........ Even says high velocity on the new double xx box..  The old xx supremes were 2 1/4 oz in 3 1/2" shells... These new ones are 2oz just like the old supreme hv.

d.winsor

If you don't mind I'm not going to take your word for it, I'll find out for myself around june 27th.

trackerbucky

Please post your results here.  I'm sure many are interested in what you find out.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

d.winsor

Quote from: trackerbucky on May 28, 2014, 06:10:55 AM
Please post your results here.  I'm sure many are interested in what you find out.

I'll post my results, if I can't find this thread I will make another one and call it "Supreme HV vs. Double X" I don't have a camera or know how to post pictures on the forum but my son in law is computer literate.  I'll save the patterns and try to get him to take some pictures of and post them on the thread.  It will probably be about 5 to 7 days after June, 27th.