turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 choke suggestions

Started by mattbrewer320, March 04, 2014, 12:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattbrewer320

Just found a good deal on an older 870....special purpose in the old bottomland camo. Anyway, I'm gonna try to get it setup this week and figured y'all would have a suggestion or two of choke/shell combo.

Thanks!

Deputy 14

Most of the time something in the .660 to .665 shoots best out of 870s. Look at the turkey gun pattern section, there are tons of good combos to get you started. I shoot the hevi shot .662 tube with 2.25 oz load of hevi 7s out of mine and it'll do 250s on a good day.

WildSpur

That and a 660 Jellyhead is a proven performer too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

nyhunter

My 870's all 3 really like the .660 lellyhead and H-13 6's and 7's and mag blends.  I would definitely give the Win. long beards a try also.

shotcaller20

Yep .660 jelly head on my 3" 870 has patterned good with everything I've put through it.

d.winsor

I have 3 870's have a .665 Briley choke on them, They like #5's of any shell I have put in them, I tried many chokes and size shot when patterning them.  They shoot best with the Winchester supreme high velocity #5's.  I am looking forward to trying the Winchester long beard #5's.   If you use sixes I would drop down to a .660 or smaller maybe a .655 just an opinion.

ads1

I have tried SSX (.643), Kicks (.655), Jelly Head (.660) and Pure Gold (.670) and they will all kill turkeys out to 40 yards. The strongest and best pattern came from the Jelly Head on the 870 Super Mag with 23 inch barrel shooting Long Beards and Hevi Shot #7s. Good luck. :)
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

Gooserbat

I've shot Sumtoy, Ballistic Specialties, Rem factory chokes, Indian Creek, Jelly Head, Hastings...All will kill a turkey.  Finding the one that throws the pattern you like is the trick.  Coincidentally I got he best # with Indian Creek and the Sumtoy and Ballistics put up the best hunting patterns. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: mattbrewer320 on March 04, 2014, 12:16:44 AM
Just found a good deal on an older 870....special purpose in the old bottomland camo. Anyway, I'm gonna try to get it setup this week and figured y'all would have a suggestion or two of choke/shell combo.

Thanks!
What barrel length??? :OGturkeyhead:

mattbrewer320

24" barrel

I'm gonna try to find some of the new winchester shells as well as any other 3" shell laying around here and let y'all know how she does this weekend.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: mattbrewer320 on March 04, 2014, 06:59:43 PM
24" barrel

I'm gonna try to find some of the new winchester shells as well as any other 3" shell laying around here and let y'all know how she does this weekend.
I collect the "Old School" Remmys and the 870 Bottomland was only made in 21" and 26" barrels. 

Captaintopwater

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 04, 2014, 09:26:43 PM
Quote from: mattbrewer320 on March 04, 2014, 06:59:43 PM
24" barrel

I collect the "Old School" Remmys and the 870 Bottomland was only made in 21" and 26" barrels.
I have two, both 26".

mattbrewer320

Just went and measured the barrel....it is 21"

SKFOOTER

That short 21" barrel should throw excellent patterns with both the Win. Long Beard 5's & 6's and the Hevi 7's & Mag Blends thru a Jellyhead .660 or Kick's .660 choke.  Mine does! :OGturkeyhead:

DUK HUNTER

I've got the 870 Supermag APG Shurshot 23" barrel.  I got good patterns with .670 indian creek and .660 pure gold.