turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 shooters

Started by turkeynewb, March 03, 2014, 04:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeynewb

Any suggestions on the brand of choke tube and brand of shells to get a great pattern?

Thomas6689

I would go with a sumtoy choke and some of the new winchester longbeards

Crappiepro

I set mine up with a JellyHead .690, I also shoot the Winchester HV #6 in 3 1/2"
I feel pretty good about my set-up with the 835
Forgot to say "Welcome to the Forum" :wave:

Skeeterbait

I have tried

Kicks .670 .680 .690
Pure Gold .670
Truglo SSX .670
Jelly Head .690
Mossberg Xfactor .695
Indian Creek .675

In my 835 and 935 shooting HTL #6 and lead #6 the Indian Creek beat the others by a good margin.  Three shot avg 20 pellets higher than the next closest which was the Pure Gold.  Havent had a chance to try a Sumtoy yet, too close to the season.  But I plan to order one over the summer.

tnturkey

so far mine really likes the jelly head 690 with magnumblends. ive tried indian creek, tru glow, undertaker, and the tight wad.

davisd9

Star dot with hevi 6s. Mad max 695 with hevi 7s and mag blends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jblackburn

I use a Mossberg Ultifull extended choke I bought years ago.  After polishing, I consistently put upper 150s in the 10 inch at 40 with Win XX Supreme 3.5 2 ounce number 6's (red shell).   I think the constriction is .765.  I may try some long beards, but I really like the XXs
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

chatterbox

Truglo SSX .670, and Hevi-13 3-2-7's.

dirtnap

I shoot a Mossberg 835 and have for 20 years.  I shoot a factory Mossberg extra full choke.  I shoot the Winchester Supreme 3.5 2 ounce number 4's(black shell).  I honestly don't know what the pellet count is at 40 yards.  I really don't care.  It will kill the piss out of a turkey.  I have never polished the barrel and rarely clean the gun.  It performs flawlessly.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: dirtnap on March 03, 2014, 07:08:21 PM
I shoot a Mossberg 835 and have for 20 years.  I shoot a factory Mossberg extra full choke.  I shoot the Winchester Supreme 3.5 2 ounce number 4's(black shell).  I honestly don't know what the pellet count is at 40 yards.  I really don't care.  It will kill the piss out of a turkey.  I have never polished the barrel and rarely clean the gun.  It performs flawlessly.

I like the way you think
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

beagler

Rhino Choke (.695)
Nitro shotshells ( 4 X 5 X 7 hevishot)
Never Misses

matchbook454

Quote from: beagler on March 03, 2014, 08:30:22 PM
Rhino Choke (.695)
Nitro shotshells ( 4 X 5 X 7 hevishot)

From what I've heard this is one that'll be tough to beat.  I used to shoot 3.5" 2.25 oz. Hevi-13 #6 through a Primos Jellyhead which gave good patterns.  I now shoot TSS through an Indian Creek and am getting 320's in a 10" @ 40 yds.

WildSpur

I have one with a 20" pipe.

Choke:  Jellyhead,  pure gold, factory .695 in that order.

Lead shells:  anything winchester or federal turkey thugs.

Htl:  magblends.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

RAY

drum817

Quote from: Thomas6689 on March 03, 2014, 05:06:29 PM
I would go with a sumtoy choke and some of the new winchester longbeards

^^^THIS^^^
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"