OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys?

Started by turkeynewb, March 03, 2014, 04:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeynewb

Wife wants to buy me new decoys , I have narrowed it down to avian or dsd. Any help will be greatly appreciated .

jaybird

I had some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket; so  I decided to invest in some Dave Smith decoys. I've seen the Avian X which are nice but the DSD's look like the real deal. I just hope they get here before opening day.

30_06

My preference would be the DSD's. I really like the jake and upright hen.

Deputy 14

I don't use decoys but if I were going to it would be DSD's. I'd be willing to bet that's the only decoy that'll  be recommended here.

Moore

I like the new breeder decoy from avain. Its a lot better then there orginal
[

beagler

Never Misses

Gobble!

After holding both I say DSD.

MAKEemQUIVER

The new Avian X's look a lot better than the old model, but with that being said I will be using a DSD hen and jake. Im sure you will be happy with either choice.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I own the DSD jake and feeding hen.... Wouldn't own any other brand.  Simply the best

REDTAIL

Picked up a Cherokee  "BILLY BAD ACT" at Wally- World  last Year.? and will be trying it out this coming Opening Day of Turkey Season this Year. Paid about $30.00 bucks for it & have read some good reviews on it & some nice YouTube videos on Hunting with them.  :turkey2:

albrubacker

Quote from: jaybird on March 03, 2014, 07:00:14 PM
I had some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket; so  I decided to invest in some Dave Smith decoys. I've seen the Avian X which are nice but the DSD's look like the real deal. I just hope they get here before opening day.

:agreed:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Gooserbat

In realism DSD is second to none, but they are a solid body decoy and with run and gun style of hunting that just don't work. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 07, 2014, 02:37:19 PM
In realism DSD is second to none, but they are a solid body decoy and with run and gun style of hunting that just don't work.

False statement.

I carry my dsd jake in a promos b mobile pack with the padded seat.  It fits nicely over my vest and rides high on my back.  That method of carrying has never impeded me or caused problems in the timber while running and gunning.

tomstopper

My vote would be for the DSD. They look very realistic.....

ctwny1

I still use my old Buckwing bob-n-head hen decoys and NEVER had any problems with gobblers seeing them and not wanting to coming into gun range. I believe I paid $20.00 each (have two of them) and they still look good and still very effective.