turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cushion and vestless

Started by ccaldwell, March 02, 2014, 11:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccaldwell

So I've been thinking about buying one of the turkey thugs packs from walmart and using it from time to time instead of my vest. How do you guys use a cushion with a vest less set-up?

mossyoakpro

Mine has a sewn in strap that I hang over the barrel of my gun while it is on my shoulder.
Phillippians 4:13

MAKEemQUIVER

I know H.S. makes a little seat that is very easy to carry and lightweight, has small legs that fold down and gets you off the ground that's pretty comfy. Im sure others make them as well.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

ferocious calls

Sometimes I use the cushion from my treestand that has the plastic clips. Just shove them between my belt and go. Had my buddies wife make me a cushion that clipped on belt and had velcro straps for around the legs so it wouldn't flap while walking. Left it in the woods one day and a couple of days later returned to retrieve it and someonelse beat me to it. >:(

Old Gobbler

I'm not big on vests , I use one but begrudgingly --  I prefer a large messenger bag type thing and a low stool / chair -- but the stools are to heavy to haul back out of the woods especially when your carrying a dead gobbler , a shotgun etc

I picked up a set of ol tom tactical pants and shirt - I swore to myself I would never pay $150 for a set of hunting clothes , and I kept my promise cause the pants were on close out at bps for 19 , and the shirt was 29 -  the pants are okay , but the shirt is the shizzle .... Those big pockets are great , I can hold so much junk in them , and it's easy to access - I can see the day where I no longer may need a vest , and it's coming soon

I've been saying for years now....

If someone makes a carbon fiber version of the cabelas gobbler lounger , they will make a fortune off the product - I like the gobbler lounger , but it almost weighs as much as the gun -  if someone makes a folding chair that is a bit smaller ,still has upper back support ,  low and weights about 2 pounds I'll throw my money at them - something like that is very practical , if some of the tree stand manufacturers ever could understand you could charge $100 for something like that they would go for it

It just needs to fold up , be light , and be somewhat comfortable -- there is a market for it , people just need to make it

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

redleg06

Best 14.99 I've ever spend was on a wheelbarrow tire innertube....  They come with "green slime" in them for puncture resistance and are about as comfortable as it gets.

I do need some kind of pack for my TP, thermocell, a few calls, shells, and my phone, keys, wallet etc. but I'm pretty minimal in the woods these days. 

Turkey Trot

An inflatable cushion or folding camp/boat seat are options.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Frank G

Quote from: redleg06 on March 03, 2014, 12:37:51 PM
Best 14.99 I've ever spend was on a wheelbarrow tire innertube....  They come with "green slime" in them for puncture resistance and are about as comfortable as it gets.

I do need some kind of pack for my TP, thermocell, a few calls, shells, and my phone, keys, wallet etc. but I'm pretty minimal in the woods these days.

Good thought using the innertube .............. point the valve down for sure  :TooFunny: I have been using a duck blind bag for a few years now, small enough not to be bulky, big enough to hold all you need. Cushion from one of my big game stands hooks on nicely. It's a single folding unit with back rest and seat, lite and water won't soak thru.  :icon_thumright:

One more item I find essential, a good pair of knee pads. Knelt next to a cedar once and drove a brier in. I jumped and so did the gobbler  :icon_thumright: wear them during deer season as well. Stalk quite a bit, don't always have the ability to sit. Truth be known they help when praying to the turkey gods!

Frank G  In Tennessee

bamagtrdude

I got the Turkey Thugs pack last week; it's got 2 D rings on it to attach a cushion.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Turkey Trot

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 03, 2014, 05:11:37 PM
I got the Turkey Thugs pack last week; it's got 2 D rings on it to attach a cushion.

Are you going to add some velcro or something to secure it and keep if from flopping when you walk?
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 04, 2014, 12:43:43 PM
Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 03, 2014, 05:11:37 PM
Are you going to add some velcro or something to secure it and keep if from flopping when you walk?

Nope; I also got the Thugs backpack @ Wal-Mart, and have my decoys in that, along with their foam cushion that I put inside the backpack, w/the dekes; so, I'll just sit on the empty backpack (or even full, doesn't matter).  That's what I've been doing for years now; works great for me.  I don't like anything "flopping" on me.
---

bamagtrdude

Here's some pics of my "system" for turkey hunting.
---

ctwny1

For a truly vestless item, take a look at Ol'Tom's Vestless turkey hunting item. I use it and it's the nuts.
Check it out...

West Augusta

I have a small seat with about 6" legs and a woven nylon seat.  I bought two fanny packs and wove them to the underside of the seat to carry my thermos and other non call gear in such as rain gear or lunch.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

bamagtrdude

Here's a pic of the previous, non-Thugs system I used for the last 6-8 years.  I had the old Mossy Oak pad from my vest shoved into the pack on this get-up.  The new Thugs system has more pockets, both on the fanny pack as well as the backpack.  Ironically, it's just as light & portable.
---