only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snake Boots

Started by L.F. Cox, March 02, 2014, 06:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 04, 2014, 06:48:12 PM
Crocks for me....

I hope that 10 gauge of yours chewed him up........

CASH

Quote from: tomstopper on March 04, 2014, 08:41:25 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 04, 2014, 06:48:12 PM
Crocks for me....

I hope that 10 gauge of yours chewed him up........

Couldn't believe it when I saw OG hunt Alabama woods in crocks. Told him he was nuts
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

TRKYHTR

You snake wranglers are crazy.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

BowBendr

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 04, 2014, 07:20:39 PM
In a pinch I've been known to hunt bare foot.  :camohat:

Dang, Shannon musta' used that pic to create last years patch !!        ;D  ;D  ;D

Old Gobbler

I let that one go ---

The real big diamondbacks get a stick over the head , they can hide real good that pattern is a good camouflage , your standing there and all you can hear is bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz -  look down , look around - whatever you do , don't move

One of the worse things you can do in a hunting camp is start leaving gut piles out the back - that brings is rodents ...... AND The snakes zone in on the rats and mice , that and flipping over old logs for fire wood will win you a snake bite in a hurry

I gave up many years ago on hunting boots ' I destroy them , I'll wear crocks most of the time , or a pair of lacrosse boots , I like the lacrosse boots,  there nice - sometimes in a blue moon I'll wear a pair wetsuit booties , you can walk real quiet with a pair of wetsuit booties

Out of all the snakes down here , the ones you got to be the most cautious of is the moccasins , those things are nasty , and they won't hesitate to bite - a lot of the times when you come up across a rattler , they are scared real bad , and want you to go away - not the moccasin , they will strike at you , they will even go after the tractor tires as they drive by ....nasty mean snake - you'll see sometimes out in the field a cow with a big swole up head , moccasin bit ......
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Flydown

I would not want to test my rubber boots against these fangs. This one took a pine limb across the head.

Gobblehead30

You know I had a lease once on some timber property with a lot of chert and I just knew it would be crawling with snakes.. And boy I was right.  So I bought a pair of Cabelas Pinnacle zip up snake boots before season. In my first scout trip I stepped over a log right next to a copperhead.   Then towards the end of the year I stepped on a big timber rattler...

Even though I don't hunt there anymore I will still hunt with my snake boots.   They actually are much lighter than most my boots and walk better too, plus they are waterproof.

cahaba

I have a pair of Danner lace up snake boots for peace of mind. We have plenty of snakes.

These snakes were killed at a hunting cabin one county over from me.

This snake was killed 8 miles down the road from me.

tnturkey

im not to worried about it where we hunt. ive never seen a rattler in a hunting situation. I kill more poisonous snakes mowing yards then hunting. what is crazy there is not telling what how many snakes we walk over beside and never even know of. I will say moccasins are by far the meanest snakes ive ever seen they do not back down. ive seen them bit at weed eaters, tractors, mowers all kinds of stuff. those are the ones I am always a little weary about. I know that a snake could bit through my mucks but I have yet to find any snake boots I like. I am rough on boots and so far mucks are the only ones that can hold up to me.

CASH

Quote from: tnturkey on March 05, 2014, 01:42:22 AM
im not to worried about it where we hunt. ive never seen a rattler in a hunting situation. I kill more poisonous snakes mowing yards then hunting. what is crazy there is not telling what how many snakes we walk over beside and never even know of. I will say moccasins are by far the meanest snakes ive ever seen they do not back down. ive seen them bit at weed eaters, tractors, mowers all kinds of stuff. those are the ones I am always a little weary about. I know that a snake could bit through my mucks but I have yet to find any snake boots I like. I am rough on boots and so far mucks are the only ones that can hold up to me.

The last 5 times I've been hunting in warm weather, I've almost stepped on and killed 5 cottonmouths. 4 were about 4 feet long and 1 small one.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

tomstopper

I agree with you all that water moccasins are the meanest snakes. I remember when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune NC and used to have to qualify with our M1A1 tanks/crews yearly (Tank Gunnery). Because of the 120mm main gun, they built a course out in an actual swamp. We had to constantly be on the look out for Rattlers and Cottonmouths. Check under your cot, sleeping bag, before you put your feet down in the morning, showers, etc. One day we had a cottonmouth slither into our chow hall and tried to push it out with a push broom and instead of retreating, it tried to come up the handle of the broom. Nasty little bugger who ended up getting his head chopped off. Always wondered why the military never issued us boots that were snake resistant. All I know is if I have them, I am wearing them....

P.S.   Shannon you have got some balls of steal my friend for hunting in crocks.....

Turkey Trot

Quote from: RAJ on March 04, 2014, 03:27:14 PMLots of us woods workers wear the gaiters instead of snake boots. They have some that are pretty comfortable and they keep those pants legs from getting so wet when walking through morning dew on food plot grass,etc. Look for them on ebay as well.

Who makes the gaiters woods workers believe are worth owning?  Some of what is out there looks like garbage.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Frank G

Quote from: BowBendr on March 04, 2014, 11:01:27 PM
Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 04, 2014, 07:20:39 PM
In a pinch I've been known to hunt bare foot.  :camohat:

Dang, Shannon musta' used that pic to create last years patch !!        ;D  ;D  ;D

Have never seen "toe jam" used as bait before  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: The GWs would never expect it.  :icon_thumright:

Frank G  In Tennessee

BowBendr

I shouldn't have even opened this thread the 1st time to look at it. I won't be worth shooting the next time I go walk the woods.......gonna' be hard to not dream about them fangs tonite as it is..........

:newmascot:

Flydown

Quote from: Flydown on March 04, 2014, 11:38:21 PM
I would not want to test my rubber boots against these fangs. This one took a pine limb across the head.

I forgot to mention that this snake hit my right leg a few inches below my right knee.... Thank god I wore my snake boots for the first time all summer. Yep,I'm a believer!