OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What choke for a Benelli M2

Started by longbeards, March 02, 2014, 05:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeards

Bought a Benelli M2 20 gauage,,,any suggestions for loads and choke...going to use it as a little for turkey,,,and would like to get the tightest pattern I can out of it,,thanks

alloutdoors

Federal Heavyweight 7's and a SumToy 562-5. My M2 does around 170 in a 10" circle at 40 with that combo.

scdxt

01Foreman400

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 02, 2014, 06:12:07 PM
Federal Heavyweight 7's and a SumToy 562-5. My M2 does around 170 in a 10" circle at 40 with that combo.

My M2 20 ga. Should arrive at Sumtoy tomorrow.  Shipped a box of the heavyweights along with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

archdriver

I get  very  good  patterns with  the  factory  full choke and FED HW #7's

i  cant ask  for  better. 
ArchDriver

keith5579

I just shot two loads through my M2 yesterday with an Indian Creek .555 choke. 

The first load was HeviShot Mag Blend.  At 40 yards I only got 115 hits in a 10" circle.   
The second load was Nitro H276C (4x5x7).  At 40 yards I got 135 hits in a 10" circle. 

Both loads performed worse than I expected.  I was hoping for 175+/- a few.

alloutdoors

Quote from: archdriver on March 03, 2014, 02:27:42 PM

Nothing wrong with that pattern, but everything tends to look good at 30. If you are only going to shoot at 30 you don't need the HW's, if you are ever going to shoot past 30 you should have a choke that will let you take advantage of the full potential of the shell.

If you ever do want to ask for better, you can get it. Easily.

agturkey

longbeards

Thanks guys for the information, still haven't made up my mind,,,I will use my M1,,,this season and look for a choke for my M2!!

Thanks again,
Longbeards

DC1.

Try the Indian Creek after shooting a few rounds through it . I went from just under 100 in ten circle to 147 in the ten to 276/183 in the ten and twenty circles in my M2 with TSS.

Yours may settle in with higher numbers after a few shots .

keith5579

Quote from: DC1. on March 04, 2014, 05:27:54 PM
Try the Indian Creek after shooting a few rounds through it . I went from just under 100 in ten circle to 147 in the ten to 276/183 in the ten and twenty circles in my M2 with TSS.

I did a deep cleaning on the barrel tonight and also picked up a few boxes of Fed HW 7's to try. 
Hopefully the 7's will get the numbers up some.  If not, I'll try another choke.

I hope to get set up to load tss in the near future.  That stuff looks awesome on paper.

FL-Boss

Sumtoy and Fed HW#7.... deadly in a 20ga. 

BandedSpur

Quote from: keith5579 on March 04, 2014, 09:09:20 PM
Quote from: DC1. on March 04, 2014, 05:27:54 PM

I did a deep cleaning on the barrel tonight and also picked up a few boxes of Fed HW 7's to try. 
Hopefully the 7's will get the numbers up some.  If not, I'll try another choke.

I hope to get set up to load tss in the near future.  That stuff looks awesome on paper.

Not just awesome on paper, it is pure death on turkeys.

archdriver

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 03, 2014, 03:42:29 PM

Quote from: archdriver on March 03, 2014, 02:27:42 PM

Nothing wrong with that pattern, but everything tends to look good at 30. If you are only going to shoot at 30 you don't need the HW's, if you are ever going to shoot past 30 you should have a choke that will let you take advantage of the full potential of the shell.

If you ever do want to ask for better, you can get it. Easily.

I dont  disagree that  patterns can get much tighter  and  indeed the enrgy of fed hw can  extend  past  30 yrds (more  likely 40-45 yrds)    I  just always  wrestle  with the conflict of sacrificing closer  shots in exchange  for  long  shots.  For me, my  money  shot is  20-35  and I  want optimum patterns for this  range.   I  dont  shoot  with  any optics  or other  sighting devices , so I  like  having a little more  open  patterns at  these inside  distances.   Gets  back to  the  old  argument of turkey  hunting being about calling a bird  in  close.  I dont disregard peoples individual  desire to shoot  tight  patterns , it is  just my own preference.
ArchDriver

Mainer

I shoot a PG .555 with 3" Heavy 13 #6's and kill them close and far off, throws a great pattern.