OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 7s vs federal heavy weight 7s.

Started by scdxt, March 02, 2014, 05:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scdxt

Which one do most of yall like. I like the velocity of the federals best being 1300 vs 1090 of the hevi shot. I have 9 different choke to test these in just curious which is most used.

Gobble!

I would say the federals if they didn't come in the flight control wad. Just comparing shot to shot the federal is more dense and will outperform the Hevi #7s

ILIKEHEVI-13

Federal needs to put the exact same type wad but a little thicker that they used to put in the old gold/blue box Federal Premiums that shot so well and start making the 3.5" in a 2.25oz load.  Until Federal does this, most folks won't shoot them. 

bawana

I'm using the Feds, shooting them out of a 870 SM with a Trulock Non Ported .650 tube and love em!

wvnut3

I have used Fed Heavyweight #7 for 3 years now. They are absolutely devastating,at 40 yds they blew clean threw my 7/16 osb backer.I too use the Trulock choke made for the Fed Heavyweight. Lee

owlhoot

I have almost identical patterns with 3", 140+ in the ten with multiple guns and chokes with the Federal HW  7's.   comments from others on how hard they hit the 3/4" 40x40" target board at the range.

The 20 gauge does 160 in the 10" with FED HW 7's and with no fuss. 21" 870 RSF.
I would think the 1300fps would be better?
Have taken alot of turkeys with hevi 6's in the 20 gauge and they are slower , but perform very well on turkeys and the board, good kills

ILIKEHEVI-13

It's no contest in my honest opinion between the 2.  Yep the Fed HW shot is denser, but there is less of them in the load meaning a lot less hits as well.

I myself would rather have the Hevi-13 #7's.  That equates to about 200 more shot inside the 20".  No way a gobbler will escape that.   

wvnut3

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 02, 2014, 06:27:15 PM
It's no contest in my honest opinion between the 2.  Yep the Fed HW shot is denser, but there is less of them in the load meaning a lot less hits as well.

I myself would rather have the Hevi-13 #7's.  That equates to about 200 more shot inside the 20".  No way a gobbler will escape that.   

So true, before i shot the Fed Heavyweight i shot Hevi #7.. I got tired of worrying about lot numbers year to year. I found that with the Heavyweight i dont have to worry about it. They shot the same in my guns (i dont even look for lot numbers). Yes they dont put up the big numbers but they are consistant day in and day out. Lee

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's why you stock up on the good stuff while you can.  I just bought 4 more boxes of the older good stuff.  It won't out shoot the 300325, but it will still do 300 or more in the 10". 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And truthfully Federal hasn't exactly listened to the turkey hunters out there that have told them to ditch the flite control wad now have they?  So it's not just a Hevi-13 issue now is it?  They are just as bad as Hevi-13 when changing a good thing. 

They still have yet to offer a 2.25oz load in the 7's.  Now why is that when most want it?  Answer - they don't listen to what the turkey hunters want.   

wvnut3

I dont have an issue with EM or Federal , I just choose to use the Heavyweight. Lee

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: wvnut3 on March 02, 2014, 06:47:35 PM
I dont have an issue with EM or Federal , I just choose to use the Heavyweight. Lee

I din't mean you had a personal issue with EM.  I was stating that Hevi-13 has an issue with changing a good thing as well.  So both need to stop messing with their loads when they have a good thing.  That's all I was saying. 

wvnut3

01Foreman400

In a 12 ga. Hevi-13 hands down.  In a 20 ga. Heavyweights hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Old Gobbler

From what I've been told -- Federal needs that thick wad because the shot material is so hard - it's a liability issue I guess?

I've shot both shells with good results , the major difference is that the federal hw in conjunction with the FCW is one finicky shell , there are stellar performers though , I'm not sure of all of them but in 12 ga the Trulock 65O is like gold , in 20 ga the sumtoy and the ssx , and in 10 gauge the kicks 690 and sometimes kicks 685 - it's good shell you just got to work harder to get it to perform

The hevishot h13 in size #7 is a outstanding shell , and shoots in most turkey chokes well , and throws out a mass of pellets - with good knockdown out to reasonable ranges - the size 6 will give your more fudge factor -

To give you my opinion to your question they are both good , the hevishot 7 will give you more pellets on the average and do it easily with many chokes , while the fed #7 will work very well only with certain chokes
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon