OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Permethrin Will Not Kill

Started by CASH, March 02, 2014, 02:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CASH

Kudzu bugs. Sprayed my vest and hunting clothes down today and left them hanging outside. It's in the 70's and the Kudzu bugs are out. I was hoping I might have finally found something to kill them, but no, just one more thing they're impervious to.  Bummer
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

L.F. Cox

CASH

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 02, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
What's a Kudzu bug ?

A little black/dark brown stinkbug that eats Kudzu and other plants. It was imported into Georgia (I think) a couple of years ago and has migrated into Alabama and Mississippi. They multiply by the millions and nothing has been found to kill them yet.

They don't hurt humans or animals, but if you kill them they emit and odor and stain whatever they're on.  They are a MAJOR PAIN IN THE A

http://www.kudzubug.org/homeowner.html

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

redarrow

hey Cashman,have you tried soap and water on them. A little prell shampoo and water is pure death on centipede and earwigs.

CASH

Quote from: redarrow on March 02, 2014, 03:21:22 PM
hey Cashman,have you tried soap and water on them. A little prell shampoo and water is pure death on centipede and earwigs.

I have. It does kill the ones it contacts, but the frigging things are everywhere in the spring at my house. They'll disappear for a couple of days and then show back up.

Hoping something is found soon that will eradicate them

Mike Honcho

Cash, have you sprayed the synthetic pyrethrin (permethrin) mix directly on the bugs or the surface they are on?

Sometmes permethrin takes a while to work....not an instant kill.  It ususally is effective on most any insect.

I'm not familiar at all with kudzu bugs so no help there.  You might try another class of insecticide...maybe an organophosphate like Orthene which I think technical name is carbamate.  Organophosphates are not safe to humans
like permethrin is. 

As always read and follow labeled directions!  I used to live in Memphis and thought kudzu alone was bad enough!

CASH

Yes I have. Doesn't seem to bother them.

Some pesticides work, the problem is there are so many around and so much Kudzu in the area. These damn things get in every crack and crevice. It's a pain just to keep them out of the house and vehicles. So far I haven't found anything that will kill them all like a roach spray or wasp spray will for those pests

davisd9

They are all over SC as well. Aggravating little devils!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tomstopper

Quote from: CASH on March 02, 2014, 04:01:24 PM

Some pesticides work, the problem is there are so many around and so much Kudzu in the area. These damn things get in every crack and crevice. It's a pain just to keep them out of the house and vehicles. So far I haven't found anything that will kill them all like a roach spray or wasp spray will for those pests

So my wife used to watch a show called "billy the exterminator" (I think this was the name) and he used to use some sort of silica spray that when sprayed on the insects/bugs, would kill them by absorbing the moisture from their bodies. Maybe something you can buy like that & give it a try. Good luck......

CASH

Quote from: tomstopper on March 02, 2014, 09:48:56 PM
Quote from: CASH on March 02, 2014, 04:01:24 PM

So my wife used to watch a show called "billy the exterminator" (I think this was the name) and he used to use some sort of silica spray that when sprayed on the insects/bugs, would kill them by absorbing the moisture from their bodies. Maybe something you can buy like that & give it a try. Good luck......

Interesting

MikeStaten

For your house, put some deltamethrin powder in crevices were they are getting in (attics, crawl spaces, roof vent, chimney etc...).  It's a very fine powder that you puff into an area and it spreads out and settles on the surfaces.  Bonide is one brand that makes it.  It definitely works. 

gob09

Insects like  those need a constant bombardment of insecticides ...I have no direct experience with kudzu bugs but it sounds like they are similar to box elder bugs .which I have had the unpleasant experience of dealing with you don't eradicate them you just kinda control'em. if they live or come from the kudzu try dursban or chloripiraphose. I'm not exactly sure of the spelling dursban is not safe for humans or pets and the label should be followed exactly it comes in granular and liquid be warned that The initial cost may be kinda high but a 2.5 gallon jug will go a long way

REDTAIL

Here in NYS we have a bad TICK problem.? And I find that the Permethrin works great on them. :happy0064:

CASH

Quote from: REDTAIL on March 06, 2014, 12:31:55 PM
Here in NYS we have a bad TICK problem.? And I find that the Permethrin works great on them. :happy0064:

It's great for ticks

Shellwaster

not only do kudzu bugs stink and stain, they are greasy and will fly. I hate them with a passion as they are everywhere when the temps get above 65. Unfortunately they have taken a liking to other broadleaf beans/peas such as soy beans. They are an invasive species that was brought in from the orient to South Carolina to eat the kudzu however they multiplied and migrated entirely too fast. The USDA has been monitoring their migration for the last 7 or so years and have found no effective treatment to stop or kill them. For those who have no dealings with them consider yourself lucky. They are similar in size to a lady bug with a dome shaped shell that has rounded points on the left and right side near the butt end and are green and brown.