Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Q: Can You Predict Ahead of Time The Best Mornings for Gobbling?

Started by bamagtrdude, February 28, 2014, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnturkey

heck no if i could or anyone could they would be a millionaire. you can guess but you never know. some of the days i thought they would be fired up they are tight lipped. and when i thought it would be tough you can hear 100 gobbles.

Beard Collecter

Not every morning, but some conditions have been a slam dunk in my neck of the woods. Cold, crisp mornings with frost have always been great in my neck of the woods. Also, if it has thunderstormed that night, but clear in am, the birds go nuts. If birds gobbled good the evening before, they gobble good the next morning, unless severe weather moved in over night. other than this, its hit or miss.

redleg06

I can tell you the days they WONT gobble, a whole lot better than I can tell you when they WILL gobble!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: alloutdoors on February 28, 2014, 05:06:23 PM
The day(s) right before you arrive at camp, or immediately after you leave. Or, the first day your buddy hunts a spot after you've given up on it and told him to have a go.
True!!! :lol: ;D :TooFunny:

Quote from: BowBendr on February 28, 2014, 07:13:11 PM
No. Sometimes, the mornings you would think should be the best, turn out to be duds. Well, at least for me anyway.
:agreed:

Quote from: guesswho on February 28, 2014, 04:41:00 PM
Nope.  Some people say yes, but I say no.  I can tell you when the conditions favor gobbling, but can't tell you the turkeys will adhere to it.
:icon_thumright:
All I know is that cool, crisp mornings generally mean good gobbling, but as Guesswho says, it ain't always so.

tomstopper

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 28, 2014, 10:48:07 PM
Quote from: alloutdoors on February 28, 2014, 05:06:23 PM
The day(s) right before you arrive at camp, or immediately after you leave. Or, the first day your buddy hunts a spot after you've given up on it and told him to have a go.
True!!! :lol: ;D :TooFunny:

Quote from: BowBendr on February 28, 2014, 07:13:11 PM
No. Sometimes, the mornings you would think should be the best, turn out to be duds. Well, at least for me anyway.

Nope.  Some people say yes, but I say no.  I can tell you when the conditions favor gobbling, but can't tell you the turkeys will adhere to it.
:icon_thumright:
All I know is that cool, crisp mornings generally mean good gobbling, but as Guesswho says, it ain't always so.
:agreed: With all that RutNStrutn has said....... Some days are good & some are bad but no matter what happens, any of these days in the woods are better than being stuck in my office at work....

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

bamagtrdude

Here's the video where the THUGS discuss this: http://youtu.be/q7x8GB1xvds  [ skip to about minute 10:00 ]
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

guesswho

I didn't watch it, can't hardly make myself watch stuff like that anymore.  Nothing against whoever they are, but if I have a question about turkeys and their behavior they wouldn't be the first people I'd ask.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bamagtrdude

Guesswho, ya - tons of marketing; I don't have cable or DirecTV, so I can't get these things - which is fine by me.  I'm bored & was in a moment of weakness; but, I thought that question would be great to post here.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

guesswho

It was a good question, and I enjoyed the responses.  I like to see what people think and how it compares to my train of thought.   And I know about boredom, you should see what happens when I get bored this time of year.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TRKYHTR

I can predict that a gobbler in the spring will respond to other turkeys. Be it hen or other gobblers. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be with a gobble. A gobbler can not stop being a gobbler. I have heard and seen gobbler with hen spit and drum all morning in the tree and never gobble one time. They did however answer almost every hen yelp while in the tree with spitting and drumming. One thing I can predict is that if you separate the gobbler from the hens he will gobble his fool head off. As far as which day he will gobble thats entirely up to him.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

BowBendr

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 01, 2014, 09:07:50 PM
I can predict that a gobbler in the spring will respond to other turkeys. Be it hen or other gobblers. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be with a gobble. A gobbler can not stop being a gobbler. I have heard and seen gobbler with hen spit and drum all morning in the tree and never gobble one time. They did however answer almost every hen yelp while in the tree with spitting and drumming. One thing I can predict is that if you separate the gobbler from the hens he will gobble his fool head off. As far as which day he will gobble thats entirely up to him.

Joe

People need to read this one several times, that was a dang fine answer ! Thanks Joe !!

Old Gobbler

For South Florida  ..... The first 5-6 of consecutive hot days with no rain after the first week of February will start them gobbling good and plenty - by hot , I mean if your standing outside and your breaking sweat and it's 85+ degrees , that in combination of still nights ( bellow 15-10 mph ) is all they need

Sometimes we do t have that weather pattern till late February or early March
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

silvestris

I know a good morning when I feel one.  I have skipped several season openers because of poor conditions.  I have killed gobbling fools under what I consider poor conditions.  I play the odds now.  A skipped morning gives me rest for another morning and keeps the pressure (from me) off the gobbler and increases my odds when I do go for him.  Nothing is a hundred percenter, but over time, odds are odds.  Now, I will watch the video.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

silvestris

Kinda got turned off when the guy said the NWTF was trapping and transporting turkeys in the 1950s.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game