OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about old shotgun that was passed down.

Started by blane11, February 27, 2014, 12:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blane11

Hello all,

New guy here. New to turkey hunting as well. I was recently passed down my grandfather's 20 gauge - remington 870lw magnum. It's a fine speciman, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes on it. I'm trying to find out if it has a fixed choke system or interchangeable. I can't tell if the barrel is threaded. Anyone with any knowledge about these guns?

darn2ten

I think these guns came with fixed chokes. You could always buy another barrel of your choice length with threaded chokes and be ready. I bet that gun just like it is would pattern pretty good with the Federal heavyweight #7 shells, I'd probably try that first.

Skeeterbait

Guns like that are exactly what the Federal Flitecontrol wads were designed for, getting modern patterns out of older fixed choke guns.  Give them a try, you might be surprised.

blane11

Great advice guys. I plan on doing a little patterning this weekend. Will report back.

cluck

Blane11; Congrats on recieveing your Grandpa's shotgun. Its one very fine shotgun for turkeys and other game as well. Go to the 20 ga. section and you will find folks who can inform you on shells and chokes. Its one you will want to pass to your children with some great stories about great turkey hunts you had. Its got potenial!!!      cluck