OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WHAT SIZE SHOT??

Started by Cbw33, February 27, 2014, 12:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Well because everyone has been so testy here lately let me first say I do not care if you or anyone else shoots lead, hevi, TSS, #4s, or #9s. They will all kill birds everyday. I would bet more birds are killed each year by #4 and #5 lead then all other shot types combined.
I personally will only shoot Hevi #7s. I like to put a pile of pellets in the birds head and neck, even though it really only takes one I like a pile of them.  I shoot a 870SM with Hevi 13 3.5" 2.25oz #7s (the past 3 seasons, 2014 I plan on shooting Nitros, got my order in yesterday so hopefully they make it in time). My best pattern to date is 324 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.
I don't like shooting much past 40-45 yards but mistakes happen. Case being last year I while hunting a field bird in the rain I thought the bird was 40 maybe 45 yards away so I shot, he was coming closer but I thought he was where I wanted him so I decided not to wait. Turns out he was at 55 yards. That bird dropped where he stood. After looking him over I realized the shot actually broke one of this wings. This shows me no only will the Hevi shot #7s give me the numbers I want but they can also break bones when mistakes are made.
If I said anything to upset anyone please PM me and lets not turn this into a 5 page bashing or argument about why anyone would shoot pixy dust at a turkey.

memphistiger02

My gun patterned well with longbear 5, but bad with the 4. After reading this I might try the 6.

Lucky Clucker

Go with HTL 6 or 7 shot, and find a Jelly head choke, they love Hevi 13 shells,I shoot the 3 in. 7,s and get a 22in pattern at 40 yards with over 50 hits to the brain and spine on a lifesize turkey target.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

Hawk76

Find the right choke and the rest is very easy.