OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WHAT SIZE SHOT??

Started by Cbw33, February 27, 2014, 12:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cbw33

I'm relatively new to really setting up a good turkey gun. i have my remington 870 drilled and tapped for a scope and its going to be put together this weekend. my question is what is are the opinions on the different sizes shot available. i figure i will try to pattern some long beards since that is 90% of what i am seeing. i want to have maximum penetration and range incase i misjudge a distance. i have been told that #4 will fly farther and hit harder than smaller shot. is there a significant difference in running  #4s over #5s or 6s since i will be greatly reducing my amount of pellets? probably a very juvenile question but i would appreciate some help

Hooksnhorns

It depends if you wanna shoot lead or hevi. Lead- I'd go w/5s. Hevi- I'd go w/ 6s. Just my opinion.
Don't Tread On Me

TBab

Quote from: Hooksnhorns on February 27, 2014, 01:11:41 AM
It depends if you wanna shoot lead or hevi. Lead- I'd go w/5s. Hevi- I'd go w/ 6s. Just my opinion.

:agreed:
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

BandedSpur

Nominal pellet count for 3" shells:
4-236
5-298
6-394
So there is a significant decrease in pellets available as you increase shot size, but retained energy per pellet increases significantly as well. Bottom line: with the proper choke, any of these shot sizes will have adequate pattern density and pellet energy at 40 yds. It's beyond 40 yds where things get interesting, and we don't talk about that here.

IowaGobblers

Its all up to you. You can shoot htl #6's or #7's generally or you can shoot #4, #5, or #6 lead. It depends on what you want to spend and what patterns well for you.

R AJ

In your case go to #5 lead Win LBs  or #6 /#7 Fed HWs.

I do not condone thinking about an extra long shot as much as waiting until you know it is within range of whatever you are shooting.

darn2ten

I see above that you say you have a 870. If you tell us what length of barrel and what choke your going to be running we might be able to get you in the right direction. A lot of guys on here hunt with a 870 or have had experience with them. But all in all as far as sizes go, I think you got great advise in the first couple of post. Can't go wrong with #5 lead or #6 Hevi.

trkehunr93

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 27, 2014, 08:28:03 AM
Nominal pellet count for 3" shells:
4-236
5-298
6-394
So there is a significant decrease in pellets available as you increase shot size, but retained energy per pellet increases significantly as well. Bottom line: with the proper choke, any of these shot sizes will have adequate pattern density and pellet energy at 40 yds. It's beyond 40 yds where things get interesting, and we don't talk about that here.

:agreed:

Gooserbat

#6 lead is all I've shot for the past 15+ years and I've killed a lot of birds with it.  Now if #6 will kill so will #5 and #4 but I just like to have more pellets to do the job.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

darron

I am partial to the #7 shot in federal or hevi. I like the extra pattern density. The hevi seem to pattern better than th he feds. Imo....for factory loads it goes federal hw then hevi then lead.

From my readings on here #7 feds hit like 4 lead and the #7 hevi hit somewhere in the #6-#5 lead range.

davisd9

Quote from: Hooksnhorns on February 27, 2014, 01:11:41 AM

Same here, but do use hevi 7s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

captin_hook

I use a 870 supermag, 23inch barrel. Right now I'm using hevi 13 #6, 3 inch 2 oz. this load patterns well and I have had lots of success with it. When I run out of these shells, I have hevi 13 #7, 3.5 in 2.25 oz. shells that I'm going to be using. I got a good deal on em and had to buy em.

Turkey fryin

These are all good answers but I say just get yourself a few different brands and sizes and maybe  couple of chokes and just experiment a little. There's nothing better than seeing what your gun likes the best when you hit the range! Patterning is one of the fun parts of the preseason!

Cbw33

thanks for all the info guys i got myself a pattern master code black. havent heard a lot about this choke but i shoot a code black goose for duck hunting and its amazing. oribably gonna buy as many shells as my pocket allows. wish i had access to a couple more chokes but i will just have to see what happens probably gonna try long beard #5s as well as some hevi blends and whatever else i can get my hands on

mwr

Whatever shoots good out of your gun.......................