turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which Avian ?

Started by TuckyBoy, February 26, 2014, 09:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TuckyBoy

Picking up a new Avian this year. I have a feeder. Can't decide if I want a lookout or breeder. What would old gobbler do ?

Gobble!

devin4484

buy the jake a breeder hen pair from cabelas/

Limbstrutter

LCD Jake. Mine got so beat up last year it was crazy.  The jake and a hen is almost irresistible to an ole Tom. So far the only Zink Decoy I don't have is the strutting . Never had much luck with my B-mobile so I picked the Jake and just love the rewards. 5 for 5 last year. Awesome.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

TuckyBoy

Quote from: Limbstrutter on February 26, 2014, 09:49:12 PM
LCD Jake. Mine got so beat up last year it was crazy.  The jake and a hen is almost irresistible to an ole Tom. So far the only Zink Decoy I don't have is the strutting . Never had much luck with my B-mobile so I picked the Jake and just love the rewards. 5 for 5 last year. Awesome.

Damnit strutter 5 for 5 where you huntin with limits like that, or you crossin state lines. I was only wanting to pack one for run'n n gun'n. I like my feeder but I thought one of the other designs would be more visible since my current girl has her head down.

Limbstrutter

Lol. Youth hunts and my two.  Lmao. ... The looker or as the new hen look out hen does well.
Here's a video I did last year of a group of Jake's molesting my look out hen.

Watch "Zink Avian X Looker Hen" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8eZMhFZQSM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

TuckyBoy

Molest her they did. Should have given one a sleeping pill for that lude behavior.
Have you seen the new avians for this year ? A little more feather detail, a little bit of leg, and 15% smaller among other things.

Limbstrutter

Yeah.  I bought 3 of them.  Two feeders and a look out hen lighter and the legs fold out of the way. They look real.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

paturkeyhntr

Just bought the lookout hen over the weekend.  Saw Matt Morrett of Zinc Calls/Avian X at a sports show and he said the lookout was the best choice if you are only looking to purchase 1 type of hen.

darron

For the money, IMO, the DSD are the way to go. They are only a few $ more and look way better. My biggest issue with zink avian is 1. they blow up 2. they will eventually leak air. I had two hens and a jake and sold all three because they leaked.

Limbstrutter

Quote from: darron on February 27, 2014, 08:17:01 AM
For the money, IMO, the DSD are the way to go. They are only a few $ more and look way better. My biggest issue with zink avian is 1. they blow up 2. they will eventually leak air. I had two hens and a jake and sold all three because they leaked.

I've had mine for two years now and just tell everyone to wait and let the bird clear and  not shoot my decoys and not a problem. The plus side to Avian is they roll up to were the DSD does'nt . Just my preference.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

TuckyBoy

Yea the money is not the issue ill spend whatever on quality, its the portability I have to have. I run blinds for the kids and I will hunt out of them as well but the majority of birds I've killed have been on the go. I just feel like the dsd would be cumbersome to pack around. That is the sole reason I went with the avian.

AL trout bum

I'm having the same dilemma. I want to get one of the AvianX hens (not a DSD) and am torn between the feeding hen and the lookout hen. I might eventually get both, but originally thought the feeder would be more "inviting." I've heard the lookout models can sometimes look like a hen on alert and may cause a gobbler to hang up. Again, I'm clueless as to which to get.
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly

mudhen

1/4 Strut Jake for me!

I have 4 DSD's, but I can't travel easily with the DSD jake...

Of the hens, just depends on what other decoys you are using.

A feeder alone might be hard to see.

A look-out alone is easier to see, but might not attract that well.

Feeder or breeder with jake, could be real good.

Look-out with jake, not my favorite combo.

For one decoy, I'd get the breeder first, look-out second, feeder last.

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Limbstrutter

Tucky, Heres the new looker and feeders . The the Jake is a must in my opinion...

I keep em on stakes stuck in some old targets seems o be a good way to keep them from getting smashed...

SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4