OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Video Cams Used To Film Hunts - Recommendations Pls

Started by bamagtrdude, February 26, 2014, 11:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Alright, "back in the day", I used to lug around an old Sony Handicam on a tripod & film my hunts.  Pain in the rear, but ...  it worked.  I still have the old tripod, and was wondering -- what is the "modern equivalent" that folks are using nowadays?

Is GoPro "head cams" the way to go?  Still using the old tripod method?  Let me know what you're using, that is light-weight & maneuverable and has good video quality & excellent battery life.

Thx guys!  Fire away!  [Again, if this has been beat to death, pls just point me to the forum thread on OG.com]
BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

alclark2

I like my gopro for adding different angles and clips to my video. I have several of the attachments which open you up to clipping it on, suction cupping, or tripod use. I don't like it as my only camera however. The sky is the limit on other cameras though. What do you want to spend? 200? 500? 1500? 20,000? I started out with 2 of the cheapest entry level Sony cameras and a gopro. Everyone I talk to about cameras seems to say Zeiss glass on Sony is the best hands down.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

bamagtrdude

Quote from: alclark2 on February 26, 2014, 12:24:32 PM
What do you want to spend? 200? 500? 1500? 20,000? I started out with 2 of the cheapest entry level Sony cameras and a gopro. Everyone I talk to about cameras seems to say Zeiss glass on Sony is the best hands down.

10-4; well, I haven't really set a budget; I've been doing all my YouTube stuff with my wife's Nikon D5100, which I can continue to do that at the house...  But, she'd kill me if I put in to taking that thing out into the woods!!  :)  Plus, it's bulky; was hoping to get something really small & lightweight, that has a good lense (10 megapixels in the least) and a decent mic...  The tripod I have has all the handles/adjustments to move the camera around w/out making noise; I've done it before w/out spooking birds.
---

fallhnt

If you bowhunt too, you better check out the Tactacam. It comes with a couple different mounts too.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

eddie234

I use the small Sony handi cam, it's digital to upload onto the computer, it zooms which some of the gopro's can't zoom like a good video recorder. It's small lite weight, use a cheap mono pod and stick the end in the ground.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

bamagtrdude

Quote from: eddie234 on February 26, 2014, 01:20:48 PM
I use the small Sony handi cam, it's digital to upload onto the computer, it zooms which some of the gopro's can't zoom like a good video recorder. It's small lite weight, use a cheap mono pod and stick the end in the ground.

Eddie, Yep - I used a really older model of exactly that.  Sony's having a clearance sale right now -- http://store.sony.com/handycam-camcorders/cat-27-catid-Handycam-Camcorders ; which specific model are you using (or recommend)?
---

Turkey Trot

I recently saw someone talking about the camera used in a youtube video and they used a Sony HD 160.

As far as mounting cameras, look at Pivothead in addition to GoPro.  Some complain about a "fish eye" effect with GP's.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

bamagtrdude

---

eddie234

I got mine reconditioned from best buy. It's just a standard handi cam. I didn't see it on the Sony web site. I guess it would just depends on the quality and cost you wanted. Here's a link to a small video I made this archery season with the handi cam. http://youtu.be/wXNN_EibXZs

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

bamagtrdude

Quote from: eddie234 on February 26, 2014, 01:51:24 PM
I got mine reconditioned from best buy. It's just a standard handi cam. I didn't see it on the Sony web site. I guess it would just depends on the quality and cost you wanted. Here's a link to a small video I made this archery season with the handi cam. http://youtu.be/wXNN_EibXZs

Wow, what a microphone!  Very clear video, too; I'll have to check one of these out; thanks for the tip!
---

tomtriage

if you want quality and affordability go with a canon hf m40 . It also has an extendable mic attachment on it.
it shoots in 1080p. Also a good fluid head tripod is a must for smooth unshaky  filming.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: tomtriage on February 27, 2014, 02:11:32 AM
if you want quality and affordability go with a canon hf m40 . It also has an extendable mic attachment on it.
it shoots in 1080p. Also a good fluid head tripod is a must for smooth unshaky  filming.

10-4 - do you have any video on YouTube (or elsewhere) that you can share, taken with this camera?  Let me know; thx man!
---

TBab

I've got a Kodak Playsport Zx5 that I use. I use one of those cheap monopods that you can get from Walmart the gun rest unscrews off the top of it and the Kodak will screw down on top perfectly and I just stick it in the ground next to me. Its smaller than a cellphone and cheap. You can get them on eBay used for like $40 to brand new for $100-$150. It records in full 1080p resolution. It uses an SD card to store the video so you can put the card in your computer and edit it. Or it has a micro HDMI port that you can plug into newer TV's and watch it straight from the camera. I've used it on a few turkey and hog hunts and I am really happy with it. Hope this helps.

Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

bamagtrdude

TBab, cool - mind sharing some hunts you filmed with it?  I'd like to see them - and the video quality.

Thx man!
BGD
---

BlakeJ

I have a sony hd handycam that my wife uses to film the hunts with, but this year I'm getting a decent tripod and a microphone attachment to make it a little better.

My buddy uses a gun mounted gopro, but unless the bird is really close in its not that great. We might try putting the gopro on a small tripod close to the deek and see if we can bring a gobbler in front of it.