OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stoeger 3000/3500 with Pistol Grip Stock

Started by GomerPyle, February 25, 2014, 12:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GomerPyle

anyone shoot one?  opinions? 

I currently have a 3500 with a 28" barrel.....I'm strongly considering ordering the factory pistol grip stock and a 24" barrel for turkey season.  I was hoping to find one on a store shelf locally that I could handle, but so far no luck.  I've shot other shotguns with a pistol grip stock and liked them...seems like it'd be great for turkeys.

[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

remmy1187

Love the pistol grip/shur shot style stocks for turkey hunting.  To me they give better control with the vertical grip angle especially from a seated position.  All my turkey guns have these style stocks

GomerPyle

currently, the gun is all Max4, but if/when I order stock and barrel, I'll order APG.  I'll probably go ahead and buy an APG foregrip too, since they're only $30.  that would leave the receiver Max4 but everything else APG (not that it really matters).  total investment would be around $310 + shipping and would give me a dedicated duck gun and a dedicated turkey gun, all in one...couldn't buy or build another turkey gun for that, even a used pump...here's what it'd look like...

(click for full size)

klemsontigers7

My M3500 has the Steady Grip stock but I have the 26" barrel.  That's what they had in stock so that's what I bought.  I love the Steady Grip though I haven't hunted with it yet... can't wait!

BlakeJ

I just bought a 24" M3500 and put a steady grip stock on it. It was pretty much a pain in the arse. It's not a simple "remove one nut and swap stocks" deal. You have to remove the stud, which is the worst part, that thing is really on there. I was afraid I was gonna twist it in two. You gotta soak it in penetrating oil for a while and double nut it to get it off. Then you'll have to use a coat hanger to get all the washers and nut back on with the new stock. By that time you'll never wanna swap it back and forth.

klemsontigers7

Quote from: BlakeJ on February 25, 2014, 03:13:20 PM
I just bought a 24" M3500 and put a steady grip stock on it. It was pretty much a pain in the arse. It's not a simple "remove one nut and swap stocks" deal. You have to remove the stud, which is the worst part, that thing is really on there. I was afraid I was gonna twist it in two. You gotta soak it in penetrating oil for a while and double nut it to get it off. Then you'll have to use a coat hanger to get all the washers and nut back on with the new stock. By that time you'll never wanna swap it back and forth.

Yes, it's not something you want to do as the seasons change, it's a one time change it and leave it kind of thing.

I used a cleaning rod placed against the end of the stud to slide the washers and nut down onto the stud.

Removing the old stud wasn't too difficult on mine, they should have put some flats on it for doing so though.

GomerPyle

yeah, I don't doubt that, I've had the stock off this one once messing with shims and it wasn't exactly a breeze....but it's this, or spend another $600-700 for a separate turkey gun like a Rem 11-87 shurshot turkey.....

I'd rather swap it twice/yr than spend twice as much money

klemsontigers7

Quote from: GomerPyle on February 25, 2014, 03:20:28 PM
yeah, I don't doubt that, I've had the stock off this one once messing with shims and it wasn't exactly a breeze....but it's this, or spend another $600-700 for a separate turkey gun like a Rem 11-87 shurshot turkey.....

I'd rather swap it twice/yr than spend twice as much money

Just be sure when you remove and replace the stud you jam 2 nuts together for tightening and loosening and get it tight.

Turkey Trot

That grip has some effect on comfort while carrying the gun on a strap because it will poke you.  At least on a Rem 11-87.  I had to put my hand on it to keep it still and from poking me.

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

sonofabuck

I was tired of swapping barrels, chokes, etc on my do all 870 and decided on the M3000 24" with steady grip for a dedicated turkey gun.  I've only had it to the range but so far I'm pleased.  Only around 25 rounds so far but no problems.  Will be adding a red dot soon.

Nd2020

Where do you get that stock from?  I shoot a 3500 as well.

BlakeJ

surehuntsalot

the pistol grip style stocks are great for turkey hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tomstopper

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 25, 2014, 07:37:26 PM
the pistol grip style stocks are great for turkey hunting
Yep I agree. I wanted to get one for my 3500 but since I live in NY it's not legal (2 or more features (pistol grip & semi auto) that they consider an assault weapon). Bunch of BS... Can't wait to move someday...