OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which co. Will copy the longbeards?

Started by eddie234, February 25, 2014, 10:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie234

Just curious as to which company will be the first to copy winchesters longbeard design?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Old Gobbler

Using a resin /glue as a buffer has been done before but not exactly in this manner

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

matchbook454

Doesn't Nitro use a buffer/resin similar to this?

jblackburn

Probably depends on which patents/trademarks/copyrights or all of the above were filed.  But like was said before, the idea is not exactly new, but Win seems to have got it right.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

THattaway

Put hevi 7s or TSS in those shells and you will see the aftermarket choke industry collapse. LOL!
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Turkey Trot

Quote from: THattaway on February 25, 2014, 02:54:11 PM
Put hevi 7s or TSS in those shells and you will see the aftermarket choke industry collapse. LOL!

Why?

The patterning results that I have seen posted on other forums for the Longbeards makes me believe that Win Supremes and Remington Nitros are much better values.  No experience with them, but the reports are not that good. 

I look forward to seeing results from those here.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

THattaway

My comment was more of a joke but loading with those payloads could mean even tighter shooting shell, less need for a tight choke but I could be way off. Would give the penetration (and beyond) claimed by Win.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

stringtown

My friend is making us some loads w TSS this week. From patterns I saw I won't be buying any more shells from the shelves. They won't be cheap to make but insane patterns w 7, 8 and 9 shot. I was concerned regarding penetration w that size shot but my concerns have been alleviated. Let y'all know the outcome of some field testing this spring.

redarrow

To answer your original question I would say Federal. Remington doesn't seem all that interested in giving hunters what they want.Winchester is the best 'Factory" loaded ammo I have found with Federals just a bit behind them.Remington Nitros  were a real let down for me.

old3toe

Yep the new resin buffer with hevi shot should give the tightest possible patterns you would think. They should be worth atleast a hundred dollars a box i'd think!! Lol

fountain2

Rumor is that he I has something in the works.  Good source told me this...choke company in particular

redleg06

I'm not sure who will copy the shells but I am PUMPED to get on Oldgobbler and read the aftermath that follows....  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

longbeards

Boys,,the Longbeard ammo is the real deal,,I say this after burning 3 boxes in 4 different guns,,it will pattern VERY well,,even out to 60 yards,,,at 40yards 130 pellets in a 10 inch circle is a shoe in! I am retiring and leaving for Fla in 14 days, from there to Ga and on to WY,MT and SD,,,I will put them through the paces this season and let you know how they preform in the field..this is something we have wanted to do for nigh into 30 years,,and this is the year,,,HOPEFULLY 1 of many to come,,,God Willing!

Besides a great pattern at a fair price! They have one advantage that I havent heard anyone post on. They have a flat washer type plate on the end with a rolled crimp that seals the shot charge in. When you lug ammo around in your vest for a season, they ALL,,leak media,,First,, This is a mess in your gun that can lead to malfunctions such as jaming, and 2nd it will effect your patterns..

Call Them Up Close and Shoot Them In the Face!
Longbeards

Vabirddog

Quote from: longbeards on February 27, 2014, 09:51:35 AM
Boys,,the Longbeard ammo is the real deal,,I say this after burning 3 boxes in 4 different guns,,it will pattern VERY well,,even out to 60 yards,,,at 40yards 130 pellets in a 10 inch circle is a shoe in! I am retiring and leaving for Fla in 14 days, from there to Ga and on to WY,MT and SD,,,I will put them through the paces this season and let you know how they preform in the field..this is something we have wanted to do for nigh into 30 years,,and this is the year,,,HOPEFULLY 1 of many to come,,,God Willing!

Besides a great pattern at a fair price! They have one advantage that I havent heard anyone post on. They have a flat washer type plate on the end with a rolled crimp that seals the shot charge in. When you lug ammo around in your vest for a season, they ALL,,leak media,,First,, This is a mess in your gun that can lead to malfunctions such as jaming, and 2nd it will effect your patterns..

Call Them Up Close and Shoot Them In the Face!
Longbeards

Congrats on your adventure! I'm sure it will be a blast!

LBs, The technology in the lb xr shells is that the shot is encased in solid resin (buffering) that shatters on ignition of the charge thus the beauty is that the buffering is uniform and in place until you shoot it as opposed to the loose buffering shaking around from factory till use.fwiw

cuppednlocked

Quote from: longbeards on February 27, 2014, 09:51:35 AMThey have a flat washer type plate on the end with a rolled crimp that seals the shot charge in.

I still have buffer in my vest/pants pockets from last season...