Winchester Longbeard XR Penetration Observation

Started by decoykrvr, February 24, 2014, 10:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

This one ain't too shabby either. 

Or this.

turkey buster

I'll settle this!!! Lol
There's kills from mag blend, lead, and even some old shorty remington duplex. Order of kill is left to right by the way. This year I hope to start a new board for beards and the first one is gonna be attempted with a longbeard shell. I bet it holds a beard just like the others

owlhoot

LOL

The best beards appear to be with magblend hulls. :toothy9:

ILIKEHEVI-13

turkey buster

Lol! Maybe I should spray paint the LB shells gold. Both patterned well from my guns so I figure save money and get more.  I could care less what anyone claims their shell will do at longer ranges. The hunt for me is getting them close. That long beard in the duplex shell was killed at 7 foot out a browning full choke a5.

davisd9

I have killed with lead and hevi. These are the ones that I have on my phone and see if you can tell me which were killed with what. I shoot hevi now because with all the time and resources I have put in to hunting I am not concerned with a few dollars on a shell. Another reason is I do not like to run to a bird and wait for him to stop flopping. Having said that lead kills fine and a few of these birds prove that. Shoot what you want just be ethical about knowing your limits and sticking to them.

I can care less how many hole I can put in a piece of paper. I check my gun so that I know it's ethical range and can have confidence in it. Holes is paper does not impress me. Birds on the ground does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Quote from: turkey buster on March 02, 2014, 07:09:51 PM
Lol! That long beard in the duplex shell was killed at 7 foot out a browning full choke a5.
LOL   Oh come on now, that duplex shell will reach out further than that, i know it is lead but they have some 4's in them :TooFunny: let em walk out a bit before the shot   :lol:

Thanks for the pics David    :thanks: Wow green stuff

ILIKEHEVI-13

Nice turkeys David.

But to my offense I have killed way more paper than I have turkeys.  So holes on paper impresses the heck out of me.   :funnyturkey:

And I'm usually a guinea pig to buy a choke for those that are wanting to know how it does. 

davisd9

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 02, 2014, 09:43:28 PM
Nice turkeys David.

But to my offense I have killed way more paper than I have turkeys.  So holes on paper impresses the heck out of me.   :funnyturkey:

And I'm usually a guinea pig to buy a choke for those that are wanting to know how it does.

Nothing wrong with that bud. It is fun to punch paper but I much prefer punching heads!

You share a lot of valuable information that helps a lot of people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

I appreciate that David. 

I'm getting older though so my best years are behind me. 

chipper

Fella's , I've been hunting turkeys for 26 or 27 years, I learn something every time I go to the woods, I' killed somewhere between 50 and 60 longbeard, pattern your gun, practice your calling and woodsmanship  and learn to be patient  but most of all know the limits of your equipment and Hunt! I don't care what anyone uses as long as you are ethical and respect our quarry  it deserves that. I personally wouldn't  want to be shot with any of the turkey loads on the market because at reasonable ranges they are going to penetrate and break bones with either HTL or lead. I have killed turkey with both and I shoot Hevi # 7 and will continue to do so because I have a large stash of it but I also would not hesitate to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a box of Winchester hv  5's or # 6 if I had to because i know how they shoot in my guns, We are in the good ol days of Turkey hunting RIGHT NOW!!!!!! LETS ENJOY THIS GRAND SPORT!!!! Lets help each other with problems, and enjoy a sport the good Lord allows us to do. I hope everyone fills there tags and takes a kid hunting in the respective juvenile seasons in there state and help preserve the grandest bird we are given to hunt

gobbler74

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: chipper on March 03, 2014, 07:56:08 AM
Fella's , I've been hunting turkeys for 26 or 27 years, I learn something every time I go to the woods, I' killed somewhere between 50 and 60 longbeard, pattern your gun, practice your calling and woodsmanship  and learn to be patient  but most of all know the limits of your equipment and Hunt! I don't care what anyone uses as long as you are ethical and respect our quarry  it deserves that. I personally wouldn't  want to be shot with any of the turkey loads on the market because at reasonable ranges they are going to penetrate and break bones with either HTL or lead. I have killed turkey with both and I shoot Hevi # 7 and will continue to do so because I have a large stash of it but I also would not hesitate to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a box of Winchester hv  5's or # 6 if I had to because i know how they shoot in my guns, We are in the good ol days of Turkey hunting RIGHT NOW!!!!!! LETS ENJOY THIS GRAND SPORT!!!! Lets help each other with problems, and enjoy a sport the good Lord allows us to do. I hope everyone fills there tags and takes a kid hunting in the respective juvenile seasons in there state and help preserve the grandest bird we are given to hunt
:you_rock: Rock on! Duck hunting the past 3 years has changed into arguing over which equipment is better and why. A lot think the most expensive on the market is the ONLY way. It was refreshing getting positive feedback on this site from some about my inflatable turkey decoys, Max4 Stoeger M3500, and my new inexpensive choke tube. I'd love to keep this attitude in the turkey community.

chipper

I bought 3 or 4 of those cheap inflatable dekes a few years ago at Wal-Mart, I liked them because they would move in a light breeze when field hunting and killed a few gobblers with them, 3 years ago I had 2 of the decoys set up in a logging road and had a gobbler sneak in from behind me and to my right, never made a sound, then he tried to rape one of my dekes, at the shot he lay dead but I also killed both dekes with the pattern.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: JuniorPre 360 on March 11, 2014, 01:38:36 PM
Quote from: chipper on March 03, 2014, 07:56:08 AM
:you_rock: Rock on! Duck hunting the past 3 years has changed into arguing over which equipment is better and why. A lot think the most expensive on the market is the ONLY way. It was refreshing getting positive feedback on this site from some about my inflatable turkey decoys, Max4 Stoeger M3500, and my new inexpensive choke tube. I'd love to keep this attitude in the turkey community.

You both said it quite well !!

I observed something about 5 years ago on water fowling websites and was fearful the same trend would take hold on OG - there was a max influx of equipment geeks ,( were talking folks with plenty of money , little actual hunting experience, and even less common sense )  who were utterly obsessed with extending , and extending the range of a shotgun -- it was ridiculous - worst part was they were openly badgering and harassing people with decades of successful hunting ---

Turkey hunting is a skill orientated activity , not some technical accomplishment like doing a moon launch --  I have several very nice turkey guns , tricked out with good chokes and ammo - but like mentioned , I wouldn't loose any sleep if they stopped making premium turkey shells , I would do what chipper would do and go pick up a box at Wally World and be done with it

Nothing wrong with having a very good turkey gun , but for those that's think that alone will be the key to successful turkey hunting , well ...... There is a learning experience in store for those people
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon