News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Longbeard XR Penetration Observation

Started by decoykrvr, February 24, 2014, 10:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pressured Gobbler

Quote from: davisd9 on February 24, 2014, 11:27:06 AM
Whether it is weight or density the two do not compare. The HWs are going to penetrate and hit harder. The lead will have give against bone because of its softness where the HWs will not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got it!!! Lead flattens on impact causing less penetration... Simple physics...

archery1

Take a kid hunting

I hate turkeys

"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

nothingbutlongbeards

I haven't seen anything penetrate like the Magnum Blends

surehuntsalot

I don't understand what's happened,back in the "day" when I started out turkey hunting,I shot 3" #4's at one time or another I moved up to a 3.5",again #4's.
Later on I moved to #5's and have basically been there ever since
All I ever remember reading or hearing back years ago was 3-6 pellets in the vitals was all it took to harvest a bird,and god knows once I fumbled around and half way figured out what I was doing,I killed alot of birds with that lead shot that people seems to think bounces off of turkeys now.
All I know is #4's and 5's will  roll them if you do your part.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tom Foolery

People always want better and want improvement.  Technology has made things better and people use technology.

Back in the day people walked to town, rode a bike or a horse and then some dude came up with a car.  From what I can tell cars have been modified and improved upon too.  I don't know many people that want to go back to a 70hp 4cyl in a 5500lb car, but if you do it's your buisness and I hope it works for you.

Do you big game hunt with a smooth bore blunderbuss?  The pilgrims used them back in the day, that's all you really need.  Ammo is easy to find just pick up a handful of junk in the woods and get close.

Steel broadheads are for sissy boys.  Knapping out flint is where it's at.......

I'm not arguing with you I'm just stating the obvious.  I like traditional stuff, I like old school stuff, I also like for my stuff to preform the best it can.

I do not understand the negativity towards using the best you can to save $20 over the course of a hunting season.  I shoot both hevi and lead. 

Tom Foolery

BTW, come on turkey season, every year about this time we get cranky and start arguing about crap that does not matter. 

When turkey season gets here we will get cranky and complain about weather/no gobbling/weather/missing a bird/weather/no sleep/weather/over sleeping/weather, you know, stuff that matters.  LOL

Pressured Gobbler

Yea I've got jelly head choke , IC choke, box's of 3.5" mag blend, 3" mag blend  and multiple box's of Hevi 13 5's, 6's in 3" and 3.5"... And still shot Win HV #5's out of most of my turkey guns lol

L.F. Cox

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 25, 2014, 06:33:23 PM
I think we are getting WAY, WAY, WAY to caught up in how far shot penetrates thru metal and into wood and the rock the target was next to, turkey's are made of skin and bone just like us and their bones are alot smaller.  All we really need to be worried about is whether or not we are sending ENOUGH shot, regardless of the size, type and how many grams it weighs, at a turkeys head to break his neck on impact.  When I started turkey hunting in the early 90's my mentor who was an old school hunter told me I needed to pattern my shotgun to make sure it sent an acceptable amount of shot down range into the head and neck to kill a gobbler.  That was it, kill a gobbler!  Granted lead may be softer than HTL but I bet at 1200 fps with an acceptable pattern turkeys will die all the live long day by copper plated lead, coated in resin or not.  My 2 cents!

Exactly....last turkey I shot wasn't made metal or wood.

Gobble!

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 02, 2014, 09:44:12 AM
People always want better and want improvement.  Technology has made things better and people use technology.

Back in the day people walked to town, rode a bike or a horse and then some dude came up with a car.  From what I can tell cars have been modified and improved upon too.  I don't know many people that want to go back to a 70hp 4cyl in a 5500lb car, but if you do it's your buisness and I hope it works for you.

Do you big game hunt with a smooth bore blunderbuss?  The pilgrims used them back in the day, that's all you really need.  Ammo is easy to find just pick up a handful of junk in the woods and get close.

Steel broadheads are for sissy boys.  Knapping out flint is where it's at.......

I'm not arguing with you I'm just stating the obvious.  I like traditional stuff, I like old school stuff, I also like for my stuff to preform the best it can.

I do not understand the negativity towards using the best you can to save $20 over the course of a hunting season.  I shoot both hevi and lead. 

I only hunt two states a year and get a total of three tags. This means I normally use 5 shells over the course of a season, that's on the high side but will work. The shells I shoot are $10 a shell so I spend $50 a season in shells. I could shoot lead at $2 a shell and that would save me $40.
I will gladly spend an extra $40 a year to shoot the best I can and know that if I make a mistake the shells I'm shooting may help bail me out. I could buy the $60 car seat for my son too but I will stick with the $180 one because it has more features that could save his life in the event of an accident.
Long story short when it's comes to things I care about I will spend the additional money to get the best because I can. Do I expect everyone to do this, absolutely not, and I will never tell someone that shooting lead or buying the cheap car seat is a bad thing to do. To each their own.

meat grinder

Now that's a good post Gobble.. Well done sir

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gobble! on March 02, 2014, 12:28:27 PM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 02, 2014, 09:44:12 AM

I only hunt two states a year and get a total of three tags. This means I normally use 5 shells over the course of a season, that's on the high side but will work. The shells I shoot are $10 a shell so I spend $50 a season in shells. I could shoot lead at $2 a shell and that would save me $40.
I will gladly spend an extra $40 a year to shoot the best I can and know that if I make a mistake the shells I'm shooting may help bail me out. I could buy the $60 car seat for my son too but I will stick with the $180 one because it has more features that could save his life in the event of an accident.
Long story short when it's comes to things I care about I will spend the additional money to get the best because I can. Do I expect everyone to do this, absolutely not, and I will never tell someone that shooting lead or buying the cheap car seat is a bad thing to do. To each their own.

We have a winner! 

I shoot Hevi-13 #7's out of both my rigs.  When I can get patterns like this with 300325 out of my Star Dot .676 in my 835, no lead load is gonna make me shoot them regardless of how they shoot.

Need I say more!

And yes I have repeated that pattern.  Now do I need that great of pattern?  Nope.  But I want it because I know I can. 

mightyjoeyoung

I'll second ILIKEHEVI-13's post with this.   :toothy9:

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks.  And tremendous pattern there as well. 

I'll even turn that pattern above over so you guys can see the 10".