OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

problems with longbeards in the mossberg 835

Started by chrismayusa, February 22, 2014, 09:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrismayusa

just picked up a box of long beards today (3.5" 2 oz 6's)  and they patterned absolutely awesome out of a 24" 835 with an undertaker.695.  i would not feel bad to stretch that setup beyond 45 yards if the situation called for it.  unfortunately 7 of 10 shells out of the box misfired, including a full tube (3 shells) one after the other.  each one went bang eventually, most on the next pull of the trigger but 2 of them required 2 re-cocks and one required 3.  anyone else have any sort of problems like this with the longbeards?  the gun functions 100% with everything else so i am a little upset that the one shell it really likes is nowhere trustworthy enough to take to the field.  its like those shells have extra hard primer cups or something.  any feedback would be great!

knightrider

ran thru a box of 3in #5 today moss 835 24in pipe no problems sounds like the firing pin might be getting weak but im no gun guru

turkey_slayer

Did the firing pin dent the primer or lightly strike it

chrismayusa

there was definitely a pin strike just not as obvious as the pin strikes on remington nitro turkey, fiocci golden turkey and federal fcw stuff.  even shot a couple winchester supreme hv and double x thru it to make sure the gun wasnt suffering light hammer strikes

d.winsor

That is what a dirity firing pin or weak springs do in a Muzzleloader with 209 primers

the Ward

If  it is firing those other shells with no issues then it well could be just a bad box of shells, rim on shell could be on the thin side allowing it to chamber deeper, could be a thick rim not allowing the gun to lock up completely, could be bad batch of primers, could be a light striking firing pin due to crud buildup. If you tried the LBs and they wouldn't fire did you try the other shells you mentioned at that time and they fired? If that is the case then i would try getting another box of longbeards with a different lot # or from a different source and see if they work.If they don't then it may be an issue with the gun. If they fire ok then i would contact Winchester and let them know about it and possibly get a refund on the defective shells. I would try giving the gun a thorough cleaning and go from there.Might also try them in another gun if you have one, too.

CASH

Had a problem with Winchester ammo one time, they took care of it

Contact Winchester, tell them your problem. They'll send you paid postage to send the ammo to them via UPS and they will send you a certificate for the amount of the ammo to repurchase some.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

JuniorPre 360

I hunted with my 835 for 15 years and retired it this year. One issue I had every now and then was a misfire with shells that had harder primers. I would fix this by taking it COMPLETELY apart and getting a wire brush to scrub down all of the parts. Then, get some break free gun cleaner and spray it inside of the mechanism that houses the spring of the firing pin. When I duck hunted, I could not shoot Remington black shells. It would dent the primer but not fire. But when I used the break free, it worked.

chrismayusa

thanks a ton guys i'll look over the lot numbers on the remaining boxes at the ace hardware they came from.  the patterns were so impressive (havent got around to counting the hits yet) that i was kinda already thinking i'd spring for one more box.  i gave that old terd a good scrubbing as well.  i didn't really think that winchester had a reputation for having hard primers at least in my experience with them but i've never messed with any winchester shotgun primers

stinkpickle

Quote from: CASH on February 22, 2014, 10:09:11 PM
Had a problem with Winchester ammo one time, they took care of it

Contact Winchester, tell them your problem. They'll send you paid postage to send the ammo to them via UPS and they will send you a certificate for the amount of the ammo to repurchase some.

Same thing happened to me with a box of slugs a few years ago.  Primers were set too deep.  They sent me the return package with a certificate to buy several more boxes along with an apology about it almost costing me a deer.  :)

Xcal1ber

I always squirrel hunted back in the day with the Winchester Super X shells and they gave me absolutely no problems, but my dad had a box of 20 gauge Remington Long Range Express, and EVERY shell in that box was a dud! We went squirrel hunting about 5 years ago and me and dad separated, and throughout the morning it sounded like World War 2 down his way lol. We met back up and I had my limit, and he didn't have a single squirrel! He said he had a bad box of shells and I didn't believe him. That is until on the walk out when we see a squirrel on the side of a tree at a very close range, and he shot at it, and the squrrel didn't flinch! After that all we shot was the Winchester shotgun shells for squirrels. So I have never had a bad box of Winchester. I know this story doesn't help any, but I am bored right now and wanted to share it lol.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

Mike Honcho

DOUBLE CHECK THE TIGHTNESS OF YOUR BARREL NUT ON THE END OF MAGAZINE....MKE SURE IT IS REAL TIGHT. IF ITS NOT YOUR SHELL WILL BE FURTHER AWAY FROM THE FIRING PIN.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

captin_hook

The primer is probably seated too low in some of the shells. I'd still take the gun apart and clean the firing pin spring.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Mike Honcho on February 23, 2014, 01:30:43 PM

DOUBLE CHECK THE TIGHTNESS OF YOUR BARREL NUT ON THE END OF MAGAZINE....MKE SURE IT IS REAL TIGHT. IF ITS NOT YOUR SHELL WILL BE FURTHER AWAY FROM THE FIRING PIN.
i never thought of that , good idea -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon