OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Went to my first Calling Competition-VIDEO

Started by Jay, March 13, 2011, 07:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Attended the Mid Iowa Classic Saturday and wish I had written down the winners. I know Doug Herman took the open, and was definitely pumped. Atended to watch Shane Simpson compete, who got 1st in the Owl Hooting. Maybe Shane can put down the winners here for us. Some pretty dang good callers competed, and I think I've got a ways to go to compete :TooFunny: I believe the winners are eligible to compete in Nationals in their event, so that is a good deal.
;D As a reporter for Old Gobbler, I suck, and will do better next time. :TooFunny:

bowhunter84

i've never been to a calling competition but  i hope to go to one before to long

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

shootumindaface

Did you compete in the Senior Citizens division ???

OLE RASPY

turkey slayer

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 13, 2011, 09:38:55 AM
no I think he was over the age limit

neal

Hey Jay good to meet you yesterday, I can help a little with the run downs and maybe Shane can fill in the blanks,

Friction                                  Iowa State                     Open
1. Steve Morgenstern            1. Curtis Goettsch          1. Doug Herman
2. Scott Wilhelm                      2. Jim Fink                      2. Jim Fink
3. Neal Herrman                      3. ?                                3. Scott Wilhelm

Owl Hooting                          Gobbling
1. Shane Simpson                 1. Scott Wilhelm
2.Tracy Pagretti                     2. Jim Fink
3. Scott Wilhelm                     3. Tracy Pagretti? I think.

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Jay

They didn't have one, but why embarase myself in front of people? I do enough of that here :TooFunny:
Talking to the open winner Doug Herman, he practices 4 hours a day. That's some serious dedication there. His daughter won the youth division. Scott Wilhem is great at whatever he does with a call, and won the Gobbling, but was 2nd in a couple of others. I asked the Hooks competitor Neal Herrman about a guy named Tom Byle. He said he never heard of him :TooFunny: Alright, I'm lying.

Jay

Neal, great meeting you and the guys yesterday. I can tell you guys are pretty tight even for competitors. I'll tell you, as just a hunter, it sure is hard to tell who is the best in these competitions. I trully was clueless, which isn't an unusual occurence ::)

simpzenith

Quote from: neal on March 13, 2011, 10:10:58 AM
Hey Jay good to meet you yesterday, I can help a little with the run downs and maybe Shane can fill in the blanks,

Friction                                  Iowa State                     Open
1. Steve Morgenstern            1. Chris Coffee              1. Doug Herman
2. Scott Wilhelm                     2. Curtis Goettsch         2. Jim Fink
3. Neal Herrman                     3. Jim Fink                     3. Scott Wilhelm

Owl Hooting                          Gobbling
1. Shane Simpson                 1. Scott Wilhelm
2. Steve Morgenstern            2. Jim Fink
3. Scott Wilhelm                     3. Tracy Pedretti

I corrected the State and Owl divisions. It was Chris Coffee winning "State" and Steve Morgenstern was second in hooting. The rest are fine.

dodger

Quote from: Jay on March 13, 2011, 10:13:06 AM
I asked the Hooks competitor Neal Herrman about a guy named Tom Byle. He said he never heard of him :TooFunny: Alright, I'm lying.

Hahahahahaha... thats funny Tom

dodger

Way to go Shane... but the turkeys down here still wont gobble at you

bird

Congrats to all of the guys that were there.  I wished I would of went to the competition now.  Would of loved to watched the calling.

mnturkey

Quote from: Jay on March 13, 2011, 07:03:14 AM
Attended the Mid Iowa Classic Saturday  ;D As a reporter for Old Gobbler, I suck, and will do better next time. :TooFunny:

Remember as a reporter for Old Gobbler you are better then all the people who didn't attend, and as a old man you have a real excuse for not remembering the names, we are sometimes surprised when you make it back home form a walk around the block.
Congratulations Shane
SEMPER FI

simpzenith

Quote from: mnturkey on March 13, 2011, 11:01:29 AM
Quote from: Jay on March 13, 2011, 07:03:14 AM
Attended the Mid Iowa Classic Saturday  ;D As a reporter for Old Gobbler, I suck, and will do better next time. :TooFunny:

Remember as a reporter for Old Gobbler you are better then all the people who didn't attend, and as a old man you have a real excuse for not remembering the names, we are sometimes surprised when you make it back home form a walk around the block.
Congratulations Shane
:TooFunny: Thanks Tom and James