turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Non camo turkey guns

Started by gwa, February 22, 2014, 07:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I don't have a pic handy but have used a wood/parkerized 870 20 gauge, a wood stocked 870 28ga, a black synthetic BPS. Killed birds with all of them. reflexl

jwm1485

I use a black BPS also. Some times I wrap some camo on the barrel.

budtripp

I've had a black 11-87 special purpose 3 in that I used for most of my turkey hunting. I got it in high school and it was a killer. I've used a black sbe2 for the last 2 seasons as well. Just picked up an 870 super mag in advantage camo this winter and it will be the first camo turkey gun I've used in a long time.  As someone mentioned earlier the only real advantage I see to camo dipped guns is rust protection during the usually wet spring season. That and they look cool.

perrytrails

My matte finish 870 Express has been knocking down since the early 90's.

:z-guntootsmiley:

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

R AJ

I do acknowledge that a shiny barrel will glare in the sun . Most of the time in early morning my hunt is over by the time that becomes a concern. During the day I am found in a shady area . I have shiny blued,matte black, and full camo guns to choose from but to be honest I killed a slew of birds before I ever saw a camouflaged gun.

There are many leaves that are shiny and as stated by those who know, being still is the key factor.
The patterns are neat to observe as such but their best purpose is in masking movement.

The infamous sniper battle was due to the enemy having glare from his SCOPE and he received one right through that scope from one of our guys.

West Augusta

Denny, You may argue that mine has a camo stock.  It didn't for years.  I just added the laminated stock a few years ago. 

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

R AJ

Quote from: West Augusta on February 28, 2014, 08:06:56 AM
Denny, You may argue that mine has a camo stock.  It didn't for years.  I just added the laminated stock a few years ago. 

This is an excellent example of light reflections. The turkey itself shines brighter than the gun barrel and background leaves are shiny but still. Beautiful gun , great memory.

Gobble!

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 22, 2014, 10:20:21 PM
your gun can be pink if you want it to be,movement is the key to turkey hunting,knowing when you can and can't

Pink may be pushing it lol but I agree with what he said.

trkehunr93

The top one is a Stevens Model single shot 12 gauge, used it the first 3 years of my career.  I haven't toted it turkey hunting in about 5 years, plan to carry it this spring some.  It was always good out to 30.  The 500 below was my upgrade from that gun and I hunted with it for about 9 years just like it is in the pic, full choke and all.  It has been camo taped now and has a Kick GT choke and a synthetic sock.  The 835 is what I have used since 2006.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: Gobble! on February 28, 2014, 08:50:23 AM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 22, 2014, 10:20:21 PM
your gun can be pink if you want it to be,movement is the key to turkey hunting,knowing when you can and can't

Pink may be pushing it lol but I agree with what he said.

I think it would be funny to have a competition on OG to see who is the first to kill a turkey with pink clothes and a pink shotgun.  Then rank the turkeys by size. 

That would show the gearheads a thing or two about their obsession.  ;D ;D
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

gwa

grayfox

Most of the turkeys I've killed I was using matte black guns.  I did wrap my 870 up in camo tape this season but I really don't think the turkeys care what your gun looks like as long as it don't scare them.  I do like camo guns better.  They just seem to look cool all decked out in camo.

I have killed 5 turkeys this year in south Carolina,all with a black matte Remington 870.Some were within 20 yards and never seen the gun.

TrackeySauresRex

This one is my boy's. A nice bright shiny 20 ga. BPS,and Ol Boney with one over the shoulder.  ;D

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."