OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Non camo turkey guns

Started by gwa, February 22, 2014, 07:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwa

How many of you use guns with no camo? Old school guns?
Post a pic if you got one....
Might be an interesting thread.

Thanks!

Denny

chatterbox

Here is my son's Mossberg 510 mini. It has a standard flush mount full choke, and is topped with a FFII.
It gets fed the Federal Heviweight #7's, and as you can see, the color had nothing to do with that morning's success. We were sitting on the edge of a field with nothing between us and the bird at a distance of roughly 15-20 yards.

stinkpickle

I don't have any camo guns.  My current turkey gun is matte black, but all the others are wood/blued guns.

bamagtrdude

I don't have a pic, but a co-worker of mine showed me his gun yesterday, and I was impressed...  He hunts with his grand-pa's Remington 1100 made in 1966 - 2-3/4 12 gauge, no choke tubes, shoots #4's -- wooden stocks & engravings on the metal; no camo!  :)
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Gobblerjim

No camo here. Black matte single shot.

Skeeterbait

My wife occasionally hunts with me.  I had a gun that started out in life as a Mossberg 600 AT, basically a 500 with better wood.  I replaced the wood with ATI adjustable Akita stock kit and put a 20" barrel on it.  Its all black and very short, easy for her to handle.

gwa

I am picking up a matte finished gun off of a buddy of mine that I will be toting this spring. I had an Ithica model 51 turkey featherweight special back in the day that was matte finished that I liked. Gonna be an interesting year...

scdxt

Makes no difference. Being still is the key. I have killed them with matte and wood gun in brown carhartt jeans at 15 yards. Just be still. Im actually starting to like the black guns myself... There is a lot of black things in the woods if you will look. Besides all the bird should see is a black hole and wait for the flash.

surehuntsalot

your gun can be pink if you want it to be,movement is the key to turkey hunting,knowing when you can and can't
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WildTigerTrout

I have two guns that are black matte and three that are full camo. I even have an old 12 ga. Win. Model 12 with wood stock and shiny metal . IMO the finish on the gun makes makes no difference. Just learn to SIT STILL.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

gobblergls

To me, the big advantage of camo is the finish better protects the metal from rust than bluing.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: gobblergls on February 23, 2014, 03:39:26 PM
To me, the big advantage of camo is the finish better protects the metal from rust than bluing.

this is very true,I do like that myself
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Rathunter04

Quote from: gobblergls on February 23, 2014, 03:39:26 PM

+1 on this as well. Odds are unless you're a lot luckier than me you'll be hunting in the rain at some point every season! IMO if as long as you're still I don't think the color of the gun matters that much.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Isomaad

Matte black for me.  Mossberg 930 Turkey, Indian creek BDS .660, Williams Universal Vent Rib Slugger Fire Sights, and Hevi-13 7's.  So far the long beards haven't complained one bit.  Lol!