turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does this scope look too far back?

Started by BlakeJ, February 22, 2014, 12:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

The eye relief is just right, so I guess it doesn't matter. Just kinda looks a little far back to me.

Skeeterbait

Only if it hits you.  Scopes on high recoil turkey guns worry me.  You want to put it as far forward as you can get away with.  It is better to move your head a bit forward on a high recoil gun.  When the recoil moves your shoulder back it will whip your head forward at first.  If your head is already moved forward it is limited on how much forward the gun can move it.  Then set the scope for that head position to be safe.

deadbuck

Crappiepro

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 22, 2014, 12:49:42 AM
Only if it hits you.  Scopes on high recoil turkey guns worry me.  You want to put it as far forward as you can get away with.  It is better to move your head a bit forward on a high recoil gun.  When the recoil moves your shoulder back it will whip your head forward at first.  If your head is already moved forward it is limited on how much forward the gun can move it.  Then set the scope for that head position to be safe.
I agree! If its too far back and that gun recoils, your gonna be in serious trouble. Your gonna get split open! I've been scope bit a few times LOL!

chatterbox

Quote from: Crappiepro on February 22, 2014, 08:04:59 PM
Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 22, 2014, 12:49:42 AM
I agree! If its too far back and that gun recoils, your gonna be in serious trouble. Your gonna get split open! I've been scope bit a few times LOL!
I'm with Crappiepro
You're asking to get your head rocked. That is too far back.

BlakeJ

Ok I moved it forward a little. But any further really makes it tough to shoot at 4x.

jdavenp3

It still looks a little close for what I would want to shoot. Unfortunately there is only going to be one way to find out. and that may involve stitches. May want to look into another scope that has a larger amount of eye relief.

CASH

One sure fire way to find out. Pull the trigger and see if you come away with scope eye
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

cphill

I wouldn't want it any further back than the very back of the receiver ....watched  a buddy with a 835 and a scope get almost knocked out so I am a red dot or open sights man....lol

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

tomstopper

Quote from: CASH on February 24, 2014, 03:17:06 AM
One sure fire way to find out. Pull the trigger and see if you come away with scope eye
Cash, I bet you have learned alot of things using the painful route... :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Ruger M77

yea it looks a little far back to me believe me it aint no fun getting smacked in the head after touching off a turkey load
I eat therefore I hunt

I hate turkeys

1. If it is you'll know it.
2. The rubber ring on some scopes lets it bounce a little more when it hits your head.
3. You will probably move your head forward to compensate on 4X.
4. Solid to the shoulder, hold on tight and let your body and your head move with the recoil.
5. See if you have any more eye relief on the scope.
6. Been shooting scoped shotguns for over 30 years no half moons over the eye yet. Right now I'm shooting Nitros out of a scoped 10.
good luck
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

CASH

Quote from: tomstopper on February 24, 2014, 04:18:29 PM
Quote from: CASH on February 24, 2014, 03:17:06 AM
Cash, I bet you have learned alot of things using the painful route... :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Of course
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

allaboutshooting

One way to keep from getting "scope eye" is to wear a cap when you shoot. Put the cap on in a normal manner, bill just over your eyebrows, and tilt your head forward until the tip of the bill just touches the tip of the scope (ocular lens). If you keep that distance between your head and the scope, you're not likely to get hit. That can keep you from creeping up on the scope.

Remember that the eye relief of a scope is always based on the lowest power setting. If you can't see clearly at 4X using this method, you may need to reduce the power.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BlakeJ

Ok, I moved it one last time, and that's it. I put a few mag blends through it and didn't need stitches. Sending it off to get it dipped.