OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth Call ???

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, February 21, 2014, 08:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

I have a question.....  Every year I try to improve my proficiency with my mouth call and look for a new cut or version of a call and buy a few different calls to test.  On occasion I find one that is awesome and love the way it sounds and its ease of use.  So I order 3 of that exact call same manufacturer,  same cut etc...  However, it seems that seldom if ever do they all sound the same as the first ...even with the same exact cut .... They play differently.  I have to order 4 or 5 to get two that I really like.  Am I alone on this?  Maybe it is impossible to be that consistent with the latex stretch etc...  Curious if this has happened to others???

matchbook454

A few years ago I quit buying any calls (friction)in a plastic package - Primos, H.S., Quaker Boy, etc.  The quality of these calls was poor at best in my opinion.  They might sound half way decent and call in turkeys, but craftsmanship/quality was poor.  I had a couple mouth calls that sounded ok but decided to try some custom calls.  Just ordered some from Sadler McGraw.  He's a champion caller and a member of this site.  Customer service was great.  Should have my calls tomorrow or Monday and can't wait to give them a try.  Best part about buying from a guy like him is that I'm sure he can help you out with any problems.

turkeykiller22

Being a call maker, it is extremely difficult to produce the exact same call over and over. There is not many ways to stretch back tension in a call... Then you have to worry about reed spacing, and then the cut. When cutting, you have to make sure to get the angle depth in the call etc... Then there are things that you cannot control, like the quality of the latex.    Being able to build the EXACT same call over and over is almost impossible, many of the contest callers will build any where from 20-30 calls before finding one that they will yelp on in a competition...

Its hard to do, but there are custom call companies out there and IMO they do a way better job at paying attention to details than others. Good luck in your search for quality!

Foot on DA Head has good calls!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

northms

I second what match said. Order you some custom mouth calls from Hooks custom calls. Great calls and all are $5.95. Cheaper than the store and great work. I like their v cut calls. Each one will have a description by it to tell you how it will sound too.

Owner is a member here too.

goblr77

Quote from: matchbook454 on February 21, 2014, 09:13:00 PM
A few years ago I quit buying any calls (friction)in a plastic package - Primos, H.S., Quaker Boy, etc.  The quality of these calls was poor at best in my opinion.  They might sound half way decent and call in turkeys, but craftsmanship/quality was poor.  I had a couple mouth calls that sounded ok but decided to try some custom calls.  Just ordered some from Sadler McGraw.  He's a champion caller and a member of this site.  Customer service was great.  Should have my calls tomorrow or Monday and can't wait to give them a try.  Best part about buying from a guy like him is that I'm sure he can help you out with any problems.

You won't be disappointed in Sadler's calls. I got some from him this week. That batwing is gonna kill some birds for me.

matchbook454

The only variable that should be difficult for the call maker to control is the materials.  Even if they order their latex from the same supplier there could be differences in each batch of material.  For example, one batch might be softer than another.  As for cuts, make a die. For stretch, use a tension gage.  I'm a process engineer for a manufacturing company which produces parts for the defense and aerospace industries.  Figuring out how to come up with a repeatable call making process seems prettty easy to me, although my background gives me an edge. I'm also sure some or most of the call makers have figured most of that stuff out already though.

GobbleNut

I would assume that the larger call manufacturers, or at least some of the serious custom call makers, have the quality control methods in place of which you speak.  Yet, as the original poster points out,...and probably most people that have purchased very many calls have found out,...there is significant variation in the sound quality of calls, including those that are claimed to be made under stringent conditions. 

Hence, one must conclude that the limiting factor in sound quality is the consistency of the latex used,...even pieces that are cut out of a sheet right next to each other.  This variation would be reasonably expected, taking into consideration that most latex is not made specifically for turkey call making,...and even if it was, could the latex manufacturing process be so precise such that each 1" by 2" strip cut out of a sheet have the exact same properties as to insure the same tonal qualities when used in turkey calls?   By all existing evidence, apparently not.

As turkeykiller22 points out, the real solution to this dilemma is to make ones own calls, or customize those purchased that are not found to be satisfactory.  Both of these solutions are easy and inexpensive to achieve if an individual is serious enough about mouth call use to pursue them.

Ruger M77

I have the same problem I have always liked the Primos A frame batwing cut cause it fits my mouth good and have always sounded good until this year. I just bought one and it doesn't sound as good as the ones I have bought in past couple years.
I eat therefore I hunt

1tiogabowhunter

Thanks for all the comments.  I figured as much there are a lot of variables that prob can't be controlled.   I bought 4 of the most recent call that I liked and got two that are DEADLY!