OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

quit cold Turkey

Started by captin_hook, February 20, 2014, 09:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

Interesting thread.. something that has been on my mind or a long, long time.  I took my first dip when I was 11  Been doing everyday, since I was 15,  I'm 39 now.  I think about quitting every time I take a dip.  I actually did quit once about 3 years ago.... for a month. But I fell back into one night after a few beers.

My advise.. if you drink... stop.. at least for the first month. That is the easiest way to relapse. Get some of the fake dip and nicotine gum... it does help. But some are against this altogether.   

I actually just loaded up on all this stuff last week... I was seriously thinking about giving quitting another shot. But decided to wait until end of April when Turkey season is over. I figured I would setting myself up for failure. That would be worse time to quit.  ( sounds like a real addict huh ? )

Either way.. I'm quitting this junk before I turn 40. I'm tired of it controlling everything.  Actually seeing this thread helps. 

I can tell you, quitting will likely be the hardest thing you ever done. But it does get much easier after the first week or so.   This junk is real powerful...  keep us posted and best of luck!

weave

You guys are right....I have given up all kinds of things in my life (smoking, drinking, etc.) and quitting dipping was no doubt and by far the hardest.  Even after 8 years since I quit, if I see it or smell it, my mouth starts to salivate.  I just force my brain into a mode where I tell myself that one dip will lead to two....then back to a can a day.

I simply refuse to fall off the wagon and relapse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

WildSpur

I have not had snuff since Labor Day 1998.

I chose Labor Day because it was a day I could easily remember.

The first month was the hardest for me.  I was very irritable.  Now if I smell a coworkers snuff it gets me nautious.

If I have any advice to give it would be to find something to do when you would be chewing.   If that means taking a walk after dinner, etc.  Quiting your addiction will be all in your head--it's a psychological addiction.  You will not die from withdrawal like you could with alcohol and opiates which are physical addictions.  So keep tricking your mind when you have the urge or routine of using snuff.  Log onto OG,  do push-ups, or whatever it takes.  Jmho/e.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

agturkey

I am almost at my first year mark of no tobacco.

Easy to quit...NO...

Value your health!  Things catch up with you...

We all quit for the same reason...not money, or any other reason but thinking about better life, cancer, long life etc...if. You care about what's best...it should be easy to push through it!

DC1.

It has been four years this month since my last chew or dip and I was chewing a pack of Levi and a can of dip a day.

It will be tuff but, you can do it !  :anim_25:

hs strut

i started when i was 15 my brother would buy it for me i been tobacco free for about 3 months its hard give up i found chewing gum helped just hang in there i had the shakes and a head ache for about 1 and a half
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

captin_hook

That's for the words of encouragement . I'm feeling a lot better today, but still have the craving. No doubt the hardest time for me is going to be when I'm out in the woods. It's gonna be a challenge.

DirtNap647

nate829

Good Luck to you!! I am currently trying to quit myself. I am currently on day 4 of Chantix and it is helping me. I am still dipping a litte bud cut way back. Small Steps!!! Hopefully next week my urge to dip will be gone. I would recommend talking to your doctor. I finally did and I feel that I will beat this.

willy8457

13 months into no smoking, hardest thing i've ever done by far. It WILL GET BETTER, Good luck

Gobblerjim

merocustomcalls

I chewed for almost 20 years, quit about two years ago and I don't miss it.  I used gum and sunflower seeds to help. 

One big motivator was thinking about all the money I was wasting on it and half of it was going to Uncle Sam!

weave

Quote from: merocustomcalls on February 21, 2014, 09:58:08 AM
I chewed for almost 20 years, quit about two years ago and I don't miss it.  I used gum and sunflower seeds to help. 

One big motivator was thinking about all the money I was wasting on it and half of it was going to Uncle Sam!

This and the fact I did not want to end up having my  sown to my face to replace my lips or jaw......the real thought of cancer scared me straight.  Just took 17 years for that to actually really sink in.

reynolds243

stick with it man! it gets easier. I quit cold turkey almost 2 years ago and hardly think about it these days!

darn2ten

This April 4th will be 2 years quit. I started when I was 14 and quit at 37. Definitely tough, but you can do it. I chewed and spit sunflower seeds until my jaws hurt and my lips where raw, but it no doubt helped me through. With me it wasn't even about the nicotine. I was just addicted to having something in my mouth and spitting. The craving takes a long time to go away, and I'm not going to lie, I could get a dip today and enjoy it. I have got to a point that I really don't think about it anymore. Gets better with time. Hang tough, it's worth it and you'll be glad you did. Good luck!