OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you consider the "ultimate" turkey gun?

Started by olejake, February 20, 2014, 11:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 20, 2014, 08:15:09 PM
Quote from: 762hunter on February 20, 2014, 03:23:32 PM
Please explain why the 935 patterns better than anything else?

Is this just an opinion?

It's backbored to 10 ga .775. Does it throw the tightest? It can. Brownings are overbored to but at .743. I've seen them post up the bigger numbers. Believe they hold the records in the still target to

The 835 isn't backbored.  It is OVERBORED to .775" diameter.  Backboring is taking an existing gun and opening up the bore.  Also the standard 12 gauge bore is .729".  Remmys (non-pro bore) have a standard bore diameter, the Italian guns are bored to around .723 and aren't SUPPOSED to pattern near as well as standard bore guns, but don't tell my SBE II that, that puts up 250's in the 10" ring with 2 1/4 ounce hevi 6's.  all guns with larger than standard bore diameter are considered "overbored" 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

sierra6

Very similar to my best shooting gun which is also a 24" 835 with a bore I too Super polished to a mirror.  I've got an old TruGlo Strut stopper choke tube on it.  It is a turkey killing machine with 3" H13 2oz #6's.   U gotta see what those Mossbergs will do with your own eyes to believe it!   Nice setup ya got there!!
"When the Turkeys ain't gobblin, it's tough to make em stop!"

jdavenp3

One that kills efficiently and consistently. Hopefully that equates to what I am carrying to the woods this year.

If I could change anything about my current set up it would be to add a 24'' barrel and adjustable pistol grip styled stock.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: sierra6 on February 26, 2014, 08:58:38 PM
Very similar to my best shooting gun which is also a 24" 835 with a bore I too Super polished to a mirror.  I've got an old TruGlo Strut stopper choke tube on it.  It is a turkey killing machine with 3" H13 2oz #6's.   U gotta see what those Mossbergs will do with your own eyes to believe it!   Nice setup ya got there!!

Thanks!  That gun has accounted for WELL over 100 spring birds and idk how many fall birds alone and has taken the heads off no less than 4 gobblers.  I have owned 7 835's from the original version (the old man and I had the first 2 in our area) to this one, that is actually a redone Crown Grade, high polished field gun.  She looked too pretty to not mess with!  lol 

01Foreman400

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 26, 2014, 08:54:36 PM

Is this just an opinion?

It's backbored to 10 ga .775. Does it throw the tightest? It can. Brownings are overbored to but at .743. I've seen them post up the bigger numbers. Believe they hold the records in the still target to

The 835 isn't backbored.  It is OVERBORED to .775" diameter.  Backboring is taking an existing gun and opening up the bore.  Also the standard 12 gauge bore is .729".  Remmys (non-pro bore) have a standard bore diameter, the Italian guns are bored to around .723 and aren't SUPPOSED to pattern near as well as standard bore guns, but don't tell my SBE II that, that puts up 250's in the 10" ring with 2 1/4 ounce hevi 6's.  all guns with larger than standard bore diameter are considered "overbored"

Don't tell my SBE 2 either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

mightyjoeyoung

7magmike

After carrying a 835 around these Kentucky mountians for years and knocking down toms very consistently I picked up a new stoeger m2000 turkey model with the pistol grip stock in a trade. I have it shooting just as good as my 835 with a carlsons coyote choke and federal heavyweight 7's or a kicks gobblin thunder and mag blends. It is much lighter than the 835 and that means a lot walking these mountains.

highwaygun

The ultimate turkey gun is in the eye of the beholder. My ultimate turkey gun is the one i hunt with a H&R 10ga single shot. I could care less about having a pump or a semi because my goal is to kill the turkey I am shooting at with the first shot. And let me tell you thats what this gun does. Anything in front of this guns bead from zero to 60 dies when the hammer drops and since I have started shooting HW's they dont even wiggle. I know it dont shot some of the 300 plus  patterns yall speak of on here but it is a stone cold killer of turkey. I have pulled or seen the trigger pulled on this gun 27 times in the spring turkey hunting and 27 birds have got a ride in the truck. I know there are many great turkey hunter on here better than me with guns alot more expensive and fancier than mine but how many can say that about there gun.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 26, 2014, 08:54:36 PM

Is this just an opinion?

Thanks for pointing that out. Just had a brain fart

d.winsor

NWTF SX3 backbored and bigbird said the rest above.

cahaba

My SX3 and my backup Mossberg. The SX3 consistently throws up 250s. I have only tried 2 different chokes and shells in it. Shells were all 3".

The first bird I killed with it at 47 paces.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I own my personal interpretation of the ultimate turkey gun.

Browning Silver with matching Burris rings, Weaver mount, Pentax Lightseeker 2.5x and an Indian Creek .675.  Bore is polished and trigger breaks at 2.5lbs. 

280-287 hits in the 10" @ 40yds with Nitro 4x5x7. She's bad news out to distances we aren't allowed to discuss here.

Jgarrett

Ive got a Stoeger m3500 with the steady grip and a 28" barrell, the barrell is a little long, but man it shoots some great groups.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

panhandlehunter

DUK HUNTER

870 SUPERMAG, shut shot stock, APG camo,                                                                                                                Pure gold .660 choke                                                                                                                                              Hevi 13 2 1/4 oz  #7                                                                                                                                              I really like the way it carries in the woods, no rattles. Love the fiber optic sights. Is it the ultimate turkey weapon? yes and no. If the hunter is doing his part to put the bird in close a .410 ga will do the trick, if he's close. We all like the option of reaching out there to to put the bird spurs up. :z-twocents: