turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many of you guys gut your turkeys

Started by turkeyfoot, February 20, 2014, 09:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfoot

This is more for the guys that hunt long way from road and maybe then have long drive home. I have certain areas that I'll drive 1 and 1/2 hours away then walk another 1-2 hours in if its warm day I do gut mine to me poultry doesn't fair long in warm weather. I rarely see anyone else do this

CT Spur Collector

Whew!  God Bless you!

I used to years ago when I was a few years younger. Nasty, nasty, nasty.  I'd do it in the garage and need to run out for fresh air many, many times!!! 

Hahahaha....no more for me. I get the breasts out and I have a buddy that likes the legs and I'm done.

Skeeterbait

Nope, not going there, too much trouble.  Take the breast fillets and legs.  I have waited as much as 4 hours and not seen any deterioration.  Now I make sure they are out of the sun. I use a big vented orange bag to transport and if it is an excessively hot day, I will put some ice from the cooler in a gallon Ziploc bag and stick it in the orange bag with the turkey.

buck_hunter21

When I first started turkey hunting, I did. Not a pretty sight at all.

Now I just take the breast and sometimes the legs......
Spill Blood

remmy1187

I don't really enjoy doing it but I always do. 

WildSpur

I do once weighed for the contest!  I too have to drive a bit so I will gut and stuff with ice for the ride home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Hognutz

Not here!! I fillet the breast off and cut the thighs off with the legs attached. I gutted one and that was enough for me..That is some kind of stink, right there!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

RutnNStrutn

I mainly hunt in FLA & SC, so plenty of warm weather. I've never gutted them, nor have I ever had a problem with them going bad.

uarobert

Cleaning/ field care for birds isn't the same as mammals. There isn't the "rush" to get the insides out. In fact, with smaller birds, the old way and the way I go is to leave guts in and age them for days at cool temp. With turkeys, its recommended to gut them before aging, but you still don't need to be in a rush.
I definitely gut them, though. How else am I going to have those gizzards, hearts and livers for dirty rice? Or the carcass for soup?

eddie234

Ive never tried it. I get the breast and im done.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

MagicBeard

Anyone tried the Turkey Gut Wrench? I got one for this spring, looks easy, we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o2stk1

here in missouri you can check in your bird by phone, so i hang them by their feet and take the breast, then make one cut at base of keel bone and pull it pops open and can take the gizzard and heart put in gallon baggie with check in info and place into cooler with ice. thats as close as i want to come to a gutting not tough enough to stand the odor

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: MagicBeard on February 20, 2014, 02:50:09 PM
Anyone tried the Turkey Gut Wrench? I got one for this spring, looks easy, we'll see.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never even heard of it. Is it like the HS Butt Out they use for deer?

socalturkeyman

I always gut my bird....traveling 7 hours from southern to northern California is a bit far to leave the guts in them. And I must be weird cause I don't think they smell that bad compared to a wild pig....Them things are freaking nasty nasty nasty !!!
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: socalturkeyman on February 20, 2014, 05:00:41 PMI don't think they smell that bad compared to a wild pig....Them things are freaking nasty nasty nasty !!!
x2  :agreed: