OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tom kelly

Started by bigbird, February 19, 2014, 10:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

I guess it was curiosity or maybe that I seen him on some old hunting tapes and DVDs I've been watching here before season and it got me thinking! I wonder what all the hypes about, so I got on his website and bought a hardback copy of the tenth legion! I enjoy a good book so I'm really excited about this. What's those of you that have read its favorite part or parts?

weave

I read it every year before season.  Great read!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

turkey_slayer

Quote from: weave on February 19, 2014, 10:30:32 PM
I read it every year before season.  Great read!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

X2

Pressured Gobbler

the tenth is a good book... I like to lisen to him talk... theres a couple of hunting videos out there with him hunting with cuz strickland

R AJ

The best part of Tenth Legion is between the Front cover and the back cover. It's all good.

eman375

I'm a Tom Kelly fan.  I've read about every book he has ever written and have enjoyed them all.  I am currently reading " A Hat Full of Rabbits!  I know.  You're asking what does that have to do with turkeys?  It does and Mr. Kelly offers great insight.  He is an old timer.  He has been hunting turkeys since the 1930s so there are a many pearls of wisdom to be gleaned from his writing.  His nickname is Colonel because of his military background and when you read Tenth Legion it will make sense.  He is now in his 80s, I believe, and I think he still gets after the birds.  He is the end of an era; the bridge between how it was and how it is.  It's a good read.  Enjoy! 

allaboutshooting

He's at the NWTF Convention every year. A few years ago, our booth was directly across from his, so I spent a lot of time in conversation with him. He's a very interesting and "salty" man.

One of my favorite stores was when someone walked up and asked him, "How long has Mr. Kelly been gone?" I can't repeat exactly what he said but it was straight to the point and made sure the questioner understood that he was still alive and kicking.

I saw him again this year and he's still very much alive.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bigbird

:o. I liked that. I like ol timers like Him,this country needs more like him!

land cruiser

God bless the guy with many years of good health.  He is a true character. I love his books.

mwr

Great Man,like too meet him.......

FloppinTom

. I liked that. I like ol timers like Him,this country needs more like him!

X2 Bigbird Amen! :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Hognutz

I was fortunate enough to speak, on the phone, with Mr. Tom about a year ago. He is a smooth as three fingers of chilled Crown Royal. That Phone call is near the top of thrills that turkey hunting has given me!!
I love his books, his wit, his knowledge of the game, and probably most of all, his soothing voice. I could listen to him all day long.

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

J Hook Max

I live one county to the north of Mr. Kelly. The part where he describes Alabama deer hunters is hilarious. He couldn't have said it better. So true !

Tripletoe

I have most of his books and all are good it is very true that we need more men like him in this world

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

paboxcall

His voice and they way he speaks is so unique, when I read his work it's his speaking voice I can hear in my head.  No other author has ever done that.

Watching his video Turkey Tales last year provided the signature line below...see if you can't read his quote without hearing his voice in your head!
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot